FINAL DEBATE TRIAL.

Will Be Held in Fogg Lecture Room at 7.30 O'clock Tonight.

At the final trial for the Princeton de bate last night J. K. Clark 3L., I. Grossman '02 and T. H. Reed 1L. were chosen as the team to represent Harvard. The coach, W. S. Youngman '95, will later choose the alternate from the second team consisting of G. Clark '03, G. M. G. Nichols 3L. and E. E. Smith '02. The Coolidge prize of one hundred dollars was awarded to I. Grossman for the best individual work during the three trials. Harvard will support the negative of the question, "Resolved, That Mayor Low should strictly enforce the excise law in New York City."

For massing of evidence, skilful use of persuasion and readiness in rebuttal the debate was one of exceptional merit. In general the form of the speakers was passably good, though there were individual instances of awkward gesturing and clumsy postures. The whole discussion turned on the question of the possibility of enforcing the excise law. By the affirmative it was maintained that Major Low was bound to enforce these laws legally and morally and by every consideration of expedience. That while there were certain dead laws on the statutes which could be ignored, the excise laws commanded immediate enforcement and that non-enforcement meant a return to Tammany rule. The case of the negative rested on two main points--that Mayor Low is justified in not enforcing the excise law, first, because the conditions make it impossible; and, secondly, that because strict enforcement would have a demoralizing effect it was necessary, reasonable and just to accept a compromise.