HARVARD, 8; U. OF P., 5.

Timely Hitting Wins Hard Game.--Winning Runs in Last Innings.

The University nine defeated the University of Pennsylvania on Saturday at Philadelphia by a score of 8 to 5, in the hardest fought game this year. The team won the game by sheer fighting in the face of discouraging odds, owing to the adverse decisions of the umpire both on balls and strikes and on the bases. Pennsylvania held the lead up to the fifth inning, was one run ahead in the seventh, but failed to score again; Harvard won by scoring two runs in both the eighth and the ninth innings.

Clarkson pitched a plucky game and held the team well together at critical moments. He was responsible for almost two-thirds of the put outs made by Harvard, striking out twelve men, giving no bases on balls, making one put out and three assists, all without an error. In the ninth inning he brought in two runs by a single to centre field. Carr had two chances at third base and fielded them cleanly, throwing Collier, a very fast runner, out at first base on a slow bunt along the foul line. At the bat he failed to get a hit, striking out once and drawing one base on balls. Wendell accepted his one chance in left field and showed enough improvement at the bat to make two clean hits. Stillman did not have any chance in centre field, but made two hits. Randall had one error on a ground ball in the first inning, but played steadily for the rest of the game, making one hit over third base and a sacrifice. Skilton played a brilliant game at second base covering a great deal of ground. He fielded several very difficult balls, and his one error was a failure to recover his balance after stopping a swift ball close to first base. At the bat he drew a base on balls and in the eighth inning, with Pennsylvania leading 5 to 4, made a home run bringing in Randall from first base and restoring the lead to Harvard. Daly played hard at shortstop, and hit between centre and right field brought in two runs. H.D. Kernan made two errors, once on a short fly, and again on a fly deep into right field. In the ninth inning, however, he redeemed himself by throwing a runner out at the plate. R. Kernan caught well, showed good judgment in his battery work and by making a timely hit in the fifth inning brought in Harvard's first two runs.

Up to the fourth inning the team failed to reach second base, while two hits gave Pennsylvania one run in the first. In the fourth, with one out, Clarkson reached first one an error by Brown, stole second, came home on a hit by Randall over third base, but was called out at the plate, leaving the score 1 to 0 in Pennsylvania's favor. In the fifth inning Daly reached first on an error by Collier, H. D. Kernan followed on a second error by Collier who threw wild over first base, Daly reaching third and H. Kernan second on the play; a hit by R. Kernan scored both men, giving Harvard a lead of 2 to 1 at the end of the inning. Stillman opened the sixth with a base hit, went to second on a neat sacrifice by Randall, and stole third. Skilton drew a base on balls, stole second and both men came home on a hit by Daly-Pennsylvania scored twice by a base hit and a home run in the last half of the inning, leaving Harvard in the lead 4 to 3. The team was retired in regular order in the seventh, while Pennsylvania on errors by Daly and H. Kernan, a hit and a sacrifice, scored two runs, once more leading 5 to 4. With one out in the eighth Randall reached first on an error by the centre fielder, and before he had time to steal a base, was brought home by Skilton's home run drive into deep right field. The next two men went out in order, and Pennsylvania was shut out in the last half. In the ninth inning R. Kernan was put out at first on a grounder to shortstop. Carr drew a base on balls, stole second, and took third on Orbin's error which allowed Wendell to reach first. Wendell stole second and Clarkson sent both over the plate by a drive into centre field. He was caught off first, however, and Stillman was put out by a foul fly to first base. Pennsylvania then came to the bat for the last time. Devlin was put in to bat for Brown and was struck out. Groves hit a fly to right field and reached first on H. Kernan's error. Collier followed with a hit, advancing Groves to second base. White then drove over first base and Groves came home from second, but was put out at the plate on a splendid throw from H. Kernan in right field. The next man struck out.

The score follows: HARVARD.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Carr, 3b.  4  1  0  1  1  0 Wendell, l.f.  5  1  2  1  0  0 Clarkson, p.  5  0  1  1  3  0 Stillman, c.f.  5  1  2  0  0  0 Randall, 1b.  3  1  1  11  0  1 Skilton, 2b.  3  2  1  1  4  1 Daly, s.s.  4  1  1  1  1  1 H. D. Kernan, r.f.  4  1  0  0  1  2 R. P. Kernan, c.  4  0  1  11  2  0 Totals,  37  8  9  27  12  5 PENNSYLVANIA.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Collier, 2b.  4  1  2  3  1  2 White, c.f.  5  1  2  1  0  1 Wilder, l.f.  5  1  2  1  1  0 Orbin, s.s.  4  0  0  0  8  1 Myers, 1b.  3  0  0  15  0  0 Noble, c.f.  4  0  0  2  0  0 Bennett, c.  4  1  0  5  1  0 Brown, 3b.  3  0  0  0  3  1 Devlin*,  1  0  0  0  0  0 Groves, p.  4  1  1  0  3  0 Totals,  37  5  7  27  17  5

Score by innings:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Harvard,  0  0  0  0  2  2  0  2  2-- 8 Pennsylvania,  1  0  0  0  0  2  2  0  0-- 5

Earned runs--Pennsylvania 3, Harvard 2. Home runs--Skilton, Wilder. Sacrifice hits--Randall, Collier. Stolen bases--Carr, Wendell, Clarkson, Skilton, Collier, Wilder, Myers. Bases on balls--By Groves: Carr, Skilton. Hit by pitched ball--Myers. Struck out--By Clarkson: Wilder 3, Bennett 2, Brown 2, Groves 2, White. Orbin, Myers; by Groves: Carr, Stillman, Randall, H. D. Kernan. Passed ball--Kernan. Umpire--Henderson. Time of game--2h. 15m.

*Devlin batted for Brown in ninth inning.