YALE GAME TODAY.

Harvard Good in the Field, but Yale Stronger at the Bat.--Game at 2.

The University nine will play the first game of the series with Yale this afternoon on Soldiers Field at 2 o'clock. Contrary to the conditions of last year, when both teams were made up practically of old players, only four men on each nine have played in a Harvard-Yale series before.

The Harvard nine will play in the same order that it has held for some time past. Carr has returned to third base and is playing up to the same standard as before his illness. Daly will go in at right field where be has played during the last few games. He is covering considerable ground and has improved in his throwing. Skilton is playing fast ball at second base, and Coolidge his usual hard, steady game at shortstop. Either Stillman or Clarkson will pitch.

The Yale nine has shown a steady improvement during the season. Early in the year, shortly after the Easter trip, the work suffered a considerable slump, but since that time has come up steadily, especially in the batting. It was Yale's batting, together with Garvan's pitching, which won for her the series with Priceton. Garvan has improved steadily during the year and is at present pitching in his best form, as is shown by his ability in the last game with Princeton to hold the opposing nine, of especially hard hitters, down to four safe hits and two scratches. Garvan, Guernsey at third base, Winslow at catcher and Barnwell at center field, are the four old players on the nine.

In the infield the work is not up to the team's standard in the other departments of the game. This is owing chiefly to the large number of new men on the nine.

In a comparison of the two teams as a whole Harvard's fielding seems to be superior to Yale's, while Yale up to the present time has had the advantage in the batting. However the game may re- sult it is almost sure to be a pitchers' battle.

The batting orders will be as follows:

HARVARD.  YALE.Wendell, l.f.  2b., MetcalfCoolidge, s.s.  r.f., WearStillman, p. or c.f.  c.f., BarnwellClarkson, p. or c.f.  l.f., CoteRandall, 1b.  c., WinslowSkilton, 2b.  3b., GuernseyDaly, r.f.  s.s., MillerCarr, 3b.  1b., ChittendenKernan, c.  p., Garva