HARVARD, 4; PRINCETON, 1.

Hockey Team Wins an Exciting Game--Fair Chance for Championship.

The hockey team won its first intercollegiate championship game from Princeton in New York on Saturday night by a score of 4 to 1. It was an exciting, fast game with the result in doubt until near the end. Foster scored a clean goal for Harvard in the first three minutes. After a period of even, hard playing, Leake scored for Princeton and the first half ended in a tie. In the second half Harvard played with much greater speed and accuracy and scored three goals by steady team work and brilliant shooting. Foster shot one and Souther two of these goals.

Although the score might indicate great strength in the Harvard team, its playing was by no means brilliant. Princeton's unusually weak and inaccurate shooting lost many chances for goals and did not test Harvard's defense. On the other hand Harvard's forwards played with great speed and endurance, and at times showed excellent passing and rushing through broken fields. When near the Princeton goal, however, the men were over anxious and lost good chances to score; and when on the defensive there was entirely too much carelessness for safety.

The summary: HARVARD.  PRINCETON. MacLeod, Newhall, f.  f., Larned Lovering, f.  f., O'Brien Souther, f.  f., Purnell Foster, f.  f., Leake Clothier, c.p.  c.p., McClave Carr, p.  p., Rafferty Litchfield, g.  g., King

Score--Harvard, 4; Princeton, 1. Goals--Foster 2, Souther 2, Leake. Referee--Mr. Hornfeck, N. Y. A. C. Umpires--Mr. Stern, Columbia; Mr. Alexander, Princeton. Time--twenty-minute halves.

The present standing of each of the universities represented in the intercollegiate hockey league is as follows:   Played.  Won.  Lost. Harvard,  1  1  0 Yale,  1  1  0 Princeton,  2  1  1 Columbia,  1  0  1 Brown,  1  0  1