HOCKEY TEAM LEAVES TODAY.

Game With Columbia Tomorrow.--No Regular Practice Yesterday.

The University hockey team will leave for New York today on the 1 o'clock train and will spend the night at the Murray Hill Hotel. They will meet Princeton tomorrow at the St. Nicholas Rink, in the first game of the intercollegiate series on Harvard's schedule. Following will be the Harvard line up: McCloud, l.e.; Lovering, l.c.; Souther, r.c.; Litchfield, g. H. D. Kernan and Newhall will also be taken as substitutes.

Fifty-nine candidates reported for the University hockey team this year, including five members of last year's team: Lovering, f.; Foster, f.; Prentice, f.; Penhallow, c.p.; and Carr, p. After several days' preliminary work in the Gymnasium, the squad went on the ice, and held regular practice whenever the weather permitted. A cut was then made, and on December 22, the team defeated the Boston Hockey Club in a practice game by the score of 4 to 2. The men were called back from the recess on December 30 for practice, and played several games with neighboring school teams, winning all of them very easily. On January 12, the team defeated the Massachusetts Institute of Technology by the score of 4 to 3, and the Boston Hockey Club, 5 to 1; and since that time, the entire squad has held long practice daily on the rink.

Up to this time, the men have developed but little team work, especially the backs, who have shown a costly tendency to play too far out. The men may be criticized individually as follows: Of the forwards. Lovering plays the steadiest game, but is slow in shooting. Both Souther and Foster have a tendency to keep too far away from the puck, and Foster is also uncertain in his shooting. McCloud's worst fault is that of loosing his head at critical moments. Both Carr and Clothier in the back field are apt to leave their positions, and thus give an opening to the opposing forwards, Litchfield, at goal, plays fairly steadily, and if properly supported, would develop into a consistent player.

The University hockey team played a practice game with a scrub team yesterday in final preparation for the championship contest with Princeton tomorrow. The scrub was made up of several former players, including Winsor and Penhallow of last year's team; Stoddard, of last year's Yale University team, and a number of candidates for the Freshman team. In the hour and a half of play, the University team were able to score only eight times, while the scrub found little difficulty in passing their defense, and shooting six goals. Throughout the game, there was a general tendency at individual play, which must be remedied, if the team is to meet with any success tomorrow. At one time, however, the men got well together, and showed of what they were capable by scoring three goals in rapid succession.

The University Musical Clubs dinner has been postponed until February 9.