GERMANIC MUSEUM OPENING.

Formal Dedication on November 10-- Plays by Irving Place Theatre Co.

During the past summer the work of installing in the Germanic Museum the gifts from Emperor William has been completed. The formal opening of the Museum will take place on November 10. On the afternoon of that day a meeting will be held in the New Lecture Hall, at which the German ambassador at Washington, Baron von Sternberg, will make the formal presentation of the Emperor's gifts, and President Eliot will accept them in behalf of the University. Professor H. C. G. von Jagemann will preside at the meeting, and Carl Schurz, president of the Germanic Museum Association, Professor Kuno Francke, curator of the Museum, and probably Andrew D. White, former ambassador at Berlin, will speak. Invitations will be extended to all the members of the Germanic Museum Association, which includes many of the most prominent German citizens in this country. The faculties of the University, representatives of other universities, and other persons prominent in official and educational positions, will also be invited to attend the meeting.

In the evening, three short German plays will be given in Sanders Theatre by the Irving Place Theatre Company of New York, under the personal direction of Manager Heinrich Conreid, who has generously offered to pay all the expenses of the performances, including the services of his company. This will be the third time that Mr. Conreid has produced classical German plays in Sanders Theatre for the benefit of the Museum. The plays selected are a Shrovetide play of the sixteenth century by Hans Sachs; Goethe's "Die Geschwister," and a brief one-act comedy of contemporary life, "Unier Vier Augen," by Fulda. The audience will include some of the more prominent of the afternoon guests, but many seats will be on sale to the public.

After November 10 the Museum will be regularly open to the public, at hours to be announced later. Until then it will be accessible only to students taking certain courses in the German department.