AMHERST, 5; HARVARD, 0.

Amherst Scored on a Blocked Kick.-Harvard Backs Fumbled Badly.

The University team received the first defeat it ever suffered on Soldiers Field, at the hands of Amherst last Saturday. The score was 5 to 0. A disputable decision by the umpire, in refusing to allow Harvard a touchdown when the ball was carried across the goal line with an Amherst man offside, cost the University team five points and a try for goal.

The playing of the team was characterized by weakness on the defense and unsteadiness on the offense. Poor generalship, inability of the line from tackle to tackle to hold against the opposing line, four bad fumbles and at least one bad pass, all contributed to bring defeat at the hands of a team that was at once strong, quick and sure.

Noyes was disappointing at quarter. He Noyes was disappointing at quarter. He repeatedly called for punts, the handling of which on the wet ground and with a slippery ball, was very difficult and proved disastrous; there seemed, moreover, to be no occasion for them, as the team did not once fail to make its distance on rushes. Le Moyne's nervousness in getting the punts off only made matters worse. Carrick was ineffective in the line, and a bad pass by him helped complete the ill-success of the punting. Bowditch played his usual good game at right end, and on the other side of the line, Parkinson at left tackle, played hard and low. Of the backs, Hurley made the most distance, going around the end several times for substantial gains, but his fumble of Shay's kick in the second half was fatal. Nesmith was responsible for two fumbles, and Hanley for one.

Shea received the kick-off for Harvard, and ran it in about ten yards to the 30-yard line. Nesmith fumbled on the first play and Lewis fell on the ball. Two gains gave Amherst first down. Bowditch threw the runner back 4 yards and Shay punted. The kick was blocked, and Coburn got it for Harvard on the 16-yard line. From that point the ball was carried down the field 50 yards to Amherst's 44-yard line; the backs alternated in making gains of from 3 to 7 yards, and Hurley went around left end for 20 yards. At this point Harvard lost the ball on Nesmith's second fumble. Amherst failed to gain on the first rush, and Shay kicked to Noyes, who was downed on Harvard's 38-yard line. On the first play Hurley circled Amherst's right end for 36 yards. Twelve rushes brought the ball to the 3-yard line. The ball was carried over, but, as Chase of Amherst was off-side, it was brought back and Amherst was penalized 1 1-2 yards. Bowditch, as temporary captain, protested and asked permission to waive the penalty according to rule, but the umpire would not change his decision. Hanley fumbled, Amherst getting the ball back of the line for a touchback. Shay's kick-out went to Harvard's 47-yard line, and the half ended shortly after, with the ball in mid field.

In the second half, Lewis received the kick-off and ran it in from the 15-yard line to the 35 yard line. Shay went through the line for 9 yards and then kicked to Harvard's 44-yard line. After Nesmith had been thrown back 3 yards, Noyes called for a kick. Carrick's pass was bad, and LeMoyne was unable to get the kick off in time and had to fall on the ball on the 30-yard line. On the next play he punted and Amherst ran back the kick to her own 52-yard line. Amherst made several gains, one through Coburn for 6 yards, but was finally forced to kick. Hurley fumbled and Palmer got the ball on Harvard's 12-yard line. In two rushes Amherst made no gain, and Lewis tried a quarterback kick, which was received by Le Moyne. Noyes immediately signalled for a punt, which was blocked. Coggeshall got it and wriggled his way over the line for a touchdown. As the punt-out went to Mills, Amherst had no try for goal. After an exchange of punts and Mills's blocking of Lewis's kick, the game ended with the ball in the University team's possession on Amherst's 37-yard line.

The line-up:

HARVARD.  AMHERST.Clothier, Le Moyne, l.e.  r.e., DanielsParkinson, l.t.  r.t., DiehlShea, Bleakle, l.g.  r.g., HowardCarrick, c.  c., BehransCoburn, r.g.  l.g., PalmerKnowlton, r.t.  l.t., PierceBowditch, Montgomery, r.e.  l.e., ChaseNoyes, q.b.  q.b., LewisNesmith, Randall, l.h.b.  r.h.b., HubbardHurley, Schoelkopf, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Shay, P. StorkeHanley, Mills, f.b.  f.b., Coggeshall, A. StorkeScore-Amherst, 5;  Harvard,. 0