LESS ENCOURAGING PRACTICE.

First Eleven Lacks Effective Team Play.--Secret Practice Begins.

The University eleven yesterday hardly kept up its good work of the day before, for two of the three touchdowns scored on the second were due to flukes rather than to actual gains by straight football. An excellent start was made, but toward the end of the practice the pace seemed to slacken somewhat, and the first eleven was several times forced to punt. In the last few minutes of play the eleven pulled itself together again and held the second for downs when the ball was within five yards of the University's goal line.

The work of the first eleven was fairly free from fumbling. There was still markedly noticeable, however, that lack of quickness in falling on a ball fumbled by opponents--a fault which through all the season so far has worked to the team's disadvantage fully as much as its own fumbling.

The second team played at its best yesterday, and gave the University team hard practice. Dodge at right half, and Goodhue at left were both very effective. Dodge's spectacular run of 87 yards to the first team's 7-yard line, was the longest made against the first team this year; with a clear field ahead of him, he was prevented from making a touchdown only by Hurley's remarkable diving tackle from behind.

After the first kick-off, both sides punted several times, the University eleven finally securing the ball near the centre of the field and starting rushing tactics. The ball was carried steadily down the field and Hurley went over for a touchdown. Two other touchdowns were scored. Knowlton picked up the ball on the second's 10-yard line, after the second's blocked kick, and took it over the line. Near the end of the practice Nichols punted for the University eleven over the second's line from the 40-yard line, and Clothier secured the ball for a third touchdown.

Secret practice will commence this afternoon, and continue until the game on November 21.

The line-up: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Clothier, l.e.  r.e., Winsor Parkinson, l.t.  r.t., Lehmann, Meier Bleakie, Wilder, l.g.  r.g., Carroll Sugden Wilder, c.  c., Carrick, Sugden A. Marshall, r.g.  l.g., Jackson, Upham Knowlton, r.t.  l.t., Squires Bewditch, r.e.  l.e., Blagden C. B. Marshall, q.b.  q.b., Leonard Nichols, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Dodge, Kent Harley, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Goodhue Schoellkopf, f.b.  f.b., Sperry