WELCOME TO NEW STUDENTS.

Speeches by Pres. Eliot, Hon. John D. Long, Prof. Peabody, and J. A. Burgess.

A large audience was present at the annual Faculty reception to new students, which was held last night in Sanders Theatre. Assistant Professor A. C. Coolidge presided in place of Dean Shaler, who was unable to be present. Speeches were made by President Eliot, Hon. John D. Long '57, Professor F. G. Peabody '69, and J. A. Burgess '04.

President Eliot was the first speaker. He said, in part, that the acquisition of power to work effectively was one of the great benefits of college life. A man should find out while in college just what his own particular work will be. This is the first great privilege of student life. A second is the chance to gain a broader outlook upon men and nature. A third privilege is the possibility of forming friendships, intellectual and spiritual, of life long duration. There ought to be a companionship of noble purpose.

Hon. John D. Long was the next speaker. He said: Not only should a man look forward to tomorrow, but also look at today. Great names are held up as models for young men, and this sometimes, caused discouragement on account of the small proportion of great men. It must be remembered, however, that it is not the men themselves that are so much admired, but the qualities in the men, and every man should realize that he has in him the possibility of developing these qualities.

Professor F. G. Peabody spoke next. A new student, he said, is not at first aware of the great religions movement at Harvard. He soon perceives it, however, though it never obtrudes itself. Religion is not part of Harvard discipline; it is a great privilege. There are many religious societies, and others, like the Prospect Union devoted to philanthropic work. A man makes a great mistake if he goes through college without allying himself with one of them.

J. A. Burgess, President of the Senior Class, was the final speaker. He urged all new men to go into some of the undergraduate activities, especially to support the football team, and if possible, to join the Union, as one of the great centers of undergraduate life.