BROWN EASILY DEFEATED.

University Eleven Scored 29 Points in Fast Game.--Good Individual Playing.

Starting with a touchdown by Nichols on a run of 105 yards from the first kick-off, the University eleven scored a total of 29 points to Brown's 0 on Saturday, in a game which encourages the belief that the team is beginning to develop. The playing of the team, however, while superior to its previous work this year, showed numerous faults. Individually the playing showed brilliancy and effectiveness, but there was almost a total lack of offensive team-work, except in mass plays on tackle. Noticeable was the weakness of the line on the offensive, which operated against effective end runs, the interference being usually broken up before the runner had reached the line of scrimmage. But in spite of this the backs showed aggressiveness and a spirit of fighting for every inch after being tackled. There was marked hesitancy in getting ready for the signals which made the play slow at times.

In punting LeMoyne showed up fairly well, but he was too slow in getting the ball away, and some of the kicks were too high and lacked distance. There was a tendency on the part of the ends to overrun on kicks, but the tackles were generally able to prevent the ball being run back any considerable distance.

Except for Nichols's two runs of 105 and 40 yards, each resulting in a touchdown, there was little efficient open play, the team relying on line plays to gain distance. The effectiveness of the line plays, however, was due chiefly to sheer weight and the lack of concerted action on the part of Brown's line. Bowditch at end on the defense was very active and strengthened the whole right side of the line. Sugden at center passed well and while not up against any very difficult proposition, strengthened the center considerably. Meier was used to good advantage in carrying the ball on tackle plays, but ran too high and without sufficient fierceness.

The playing of the University eleven during the first part of the game was much better than during the second half when only six points were added to the score. A sensational start was made when Nichols recovered Schoellkopf's fumble of the kick-off, and threading his way, with the aid of excellent interference, through the entire Brown team, ran 105 yards for a touchdown. Marshall kicked goal. After the next kick-off a series of exchanges of punts ended in a fumble which gave Harvard the ball on Brown's 28-yard line. From here gains by Hurley and Meier carried the ball to the 5-yard line and in three rushes it was carried over for a touchdown. Marshall again kicked goal. Score--Harvard, 12: Brown, 0. The next touchdown was made by Schoellkopf after the ball was secured on downs and a series of end and mass plays had brought it near the goal line. Another goal by Marshall, and another touchdown by Meier completed the scoring in the first half.

A touchdown by Nichols on a 40-yard run early in the second half and a goal by Marshall completed Harvard's score. During the last 15 minutes of play the ball did not get nearer than 35 yards to either goal. The University eleven had the ball on its own 48-yard line when time was called.

The line-up: HARVARD.  BROWN. LeMoyne, Burgess, l.e.  r.e., Russ Parkinson, l.t.  r.t., Webb Robinson, Carrick, l.g.  r.g., Fletcher Sugden, Wilder, c.  c., Colter A. Marshall, r.g.  l.g., MacGregor, Leland Meier, r.t.  l.t., Higgins Bowditch, Montgomery, r.e.  l.e., Schwinn C. B. Marshall, q.b.  q.b., Scudder, Schwartz Nichols, Harrison, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Curtis, Pearsall Hurley, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Walsh Schoellkopf, f.b.  f.b., Heckman

Score--Harvard, 29; Brown, 0. Touchdowns--Nichols 2, Meier 2, Schoellkopf. Goals--Marshall 4. Umpire--H. Dadmun, Worcester. Referee--Hedge. University of Pennsylvania. Linesmen--McCarthy of Harvard and Hunt of Brown. Timekeeper--F. Wood, B. A. A. Time--25 and 20-minute halves.