UNIVERSITY OF MAINE TODAY

Game Begins at 3 o'clock.--Encouraging Practice Yesterday.

The University football team will play its third game of the season with the University of Maine on Soldiers Field this afternoon at 3 o'clock.

The game should be of especial interest, because J. W. Farley '99, who was head coach of the Harvard team last year, is this year coaching the University of Maine eleven.

The University of eleven is in a fair state of development, among the most commendable features of the play being the fight and aggressiveness with which the men get into the practice. There is also a noticeable lack of fumbling in comparison with last year's playing.

Captain Marshall will be unable to play this afternoon on account of a wrenched knee and Noyes will begin the game at quarterback. Bowditch will again be back at right end.

The line-up: HARVARD.  MAINE. Burgess, l.e.  r.e., Bean Parkinson, l.t.  r.t., Wood Shea, l.g.  r.g., Sawyer Carrick, c.  c., Learned A. Marshall, r.g.  l.g., Knowles Knowlton, r.t.  l.t., Reed Bowditch, r.e.  l.e., Taylor Noyes, q.b.  q.b., Bailey Nichols, l.h.b.  l.h.b., Thatcher Hurley, r.h.b.  r.h.b., Parker Hanley, f.b.  f.b., Dearce

The practice of the University football squad yesterday was characterized by a spirit of dash and aggressiveness, and the work on the whole was quite satisfactory. In the line-up the first team was kept on the defense for the greater part of the time, but succeeded almost invariably in holding the second team for no gain, and Bowditch and Shea each broke through once and tackled the second team runner for a loss.

Whenever given the ball the first eleven had little difficulty in making good gains, and Randall once broke through for a thirty-three yard run. Throughout the signal practice and the eight-minute scrimmage the tackles were played outside the ends on both the defense and offense. The only exception to this formation was made when the first team kicked; the ends then played in out in their regular positions. No apparent confusion resulted from the new formation and it proved effective against the second in both offensive and defensive play.

The line-up: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Burgess, l.e.  r.e., Montgomery, Shurtleff Parkinson, l.t.  r.t., Bleakie, Lehmann Shea, l.g.  r.g., Coburn, McFadden Carrick, c.  c., Wilder, Pell A. Marshall, r.g.  l.g., Robinson Knowlton, r.t.  l.t., Oveson, Squires Bowditch, r.e.  l.e., Upham Noyes, q.b.  q.b., Elkins, Goodhue Nichols, Randall, l.h.b.  l.h.b., Randall, Kruger Hurley, r.h.b.  r.h.b., Lindsay, Kent Hanley, f.b.  f.b., Harrison, Meier