University Team Wins Uninteresting Game.

The game against the Bates eleven yesterday afternoon on Soldiers Field resulted in an easy victory for the University team by a score of 23 to 0.

Except for a few runs of more than average length, there was little to vary the monotonous spectacle of a team forcing its way down the field four times for touchdowns against much lighter opponents who should have been beaten by a considerably larger score. The University team played at the start with more spirit and snap than it has recently displayed and during the first half managed to score 18 points, but in the second half made a very poor showing and ended the game by being held for downs within 8 yards of a touchdown--a strong reminder of the lack of drive exhibited by last year's team when approaching the goal line. Because of the lack of attacking power of the opposing team, the game afforded no test of the defensive strength of the University eleven. The Bates team was obliged to play almost entirely on the defensive and was generally forced to give way to superior weight, but even against these odds made a very plucky fight and frequently forced the University team to use all its downs to secure a five-yard advance. Fast work by the backs alone prevented most of the plays being stopped without gain. The interference was wretched.

Hurley at halfback made the best gains for Harvard. Noyes at quarter gave his signals well, but was slow in getting the plays started and made a great many fumbles. Schoellkopf at halfback played with commendable spirit, but frequently betrayed the play by starting too soon. Bowditch's work at end was as usual remarkably good.

Bates kicked off and Hurley brought the ball back 20 yards. Harrison made an excellent run of 40 yards through right tackle, and after the ball had been brought near the goal line by several line-bucks, scored a touchdown. Noyes kicked goal. Bowditch received the second kick-off and advanced 5 yards. A series of rushes then carried the ball steadily down the field to the 4-yard line, from where Hurley carried it over. Noyes again kicked goal. The third kick-off was received by Harrison, who ran it back to the 30-yard line. The University team then punted but Bowditch immediately regained the ball on a fumble on Bates' 35-yard line. After several plays Randall carried the ball over from the 5-yard line. Noyes kicked goal. In the second half Bates fumbled the kick-off, but recovered the ball on the 25-yard line. Bates was then given 5 yards for off side play by Harvard, but was at once forced to punt. After two long runs by Schoellkopf and Mills. Mills scored the fourth touchdown. Noyes missed goal. The University team then kicked off, but Bates was soon obliged to punt. After forcing the ball down the field by short rushes, the University team lost it on downs on Bates' 8-yard line. The game ended with the ball in Bates' possession on its 10-yard line.

The line-up:

Score--Harvard, 23; Bates, 0. Touchdowns--Harrison, Hurley, Randall, Mills. Goals--Noyes 3. Referee--R. W. P. Brown '98. Umpire--H. Holton, B. A. A. Linesmen--Hurd '04 of Harvard, and Sturgis of Bates. Timekeeper--F. Wood, B. A. A. Time--15 and 10 minute halves. HARVARD.  BATES. Burgess, Bartels, l.e.  r.e., Libbey Parkinson, l.t.  r.t., Connor Shea, Bleakie, l.g.  r.g., Turner Carrick, c.  c., Cutten Coburn, r.g.  l.g., Johnson Knowlton, r.t.  l.t., Reed Bowditch, Montgomery, r.e.  l.e., Cole Noyes, Elkins, q.b.  q.b., Rounds Randall, Nesmith, l.h.b.  l.h.b., White Hurley, Schoellkopf, r.h.b.  r.h.b., Mahoney Harrison, Mills, f.b.  f.b., Briggs

Recommended Articles