VERY HARD PRACTICE.

Second Team, With Four Coaches in the Line, Scores on First.

The practice of the University eleven yesterday was harder than on any day hitherto. After the preliminary work, the University team played a fifteen minute half with the second and was not only unable to make a touchdown, but was even scored on. This result was largely due to the work of coaches, R. Lawrence '02, C. H. Barnard 2L., E. H. Greene '02, and F. L. Burnett 3M., who played in the second's line and proved themselves invulnerable on the defense. On the offense, they frequently broke through the opposing line and made holes for the second's backs. The play, however, afforded the University eleven excellent practice, though it showed conclusively that a great deal must be accomplished in the development of the team before a creditable record in the later games of the season can be expected.

The first team received the kick-off and was forced to punt after two plays, but immediately regained the ball on its own 45-yard line. Le Moyne attempted to punt, but his kick was blocked and Harrison got the ball. The second then carried the ball down the field, but was held for downs on the first team's 10-yard line. The second, however, got the ball again on a fumble, and in the second play Dodge went over the University team's line for a touchdown. After the second kick-off the play was confined for the most part to the centre of the field. The first lost the ball once on downs and once on a fumble by Hurley. The second team was twice held for downs and was once forced to punt. Le Moyne, who, with some success, was tried at left end of the University team throughout the half punted excellently.

In a short second half the first team scored once. The entire half, however, was practically a scrimmage between scrub elevens for the line-up had been changed throughout.

Captain Marshall did not play in the line-up. Wilder and Hanley, however, have recovered from their injuries and were on the field yesterday, but the latter did not go into the scrimmage. Nichols, whose bruised shoulder has for the last two days prevented his playing, will probably be in the line-up of tomorrow's game.

The line-up: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Le Moyne, l.e.  r.e., Shurtleff Parkinson, l.t.  r.t., Lawrence Shea, l.g.  r.g., Barnard Carrick, c.  c., Greene Coburn, r.g.  l.g., Burnett, Wilder Lehmann, r.t.  l.t., Mercer Bowditch, r.e.  l.e., Blagdeu Noyes, q.b.  q.b., Leonard Nesmith, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Kent Hurley, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Dodge Mills, f.b.  f.b., Harrison