BETTER WORK IN PRACTICE.

First Eleven's Offense and Defense Improving.--Drop Kick by Marshall.

The University eleven held its last practice on the old field yesterday, and practice today will be on the Stadium field. Yesterday's scrimmage between the first and second elevens lasted for nearly 30 minutes and was hard and fast. The defense and, except for very poor punting, the offense of the University eleven were in general good, although the eleven was once scored on, and was several times forced to punt when carrying the ball. Four times the first forced the second to within scoring distance, twice for touchdowns; and twice Marshall tried for goals from the field, failing on the first attempt, from the 20-yard line, but succeeding on the second, from the 25-yard line.

Hurley and Clothier were not out yesterday, owing to slight attacks of tonsilitis. Bowditch was given another day's rest on account of an injury received in last Saturday's game.

Schoellkopf ran back the ball after the first kick-off, from the five to the 40-yard line. From there the University eleven carried the ball by short gains to the second's 20-yard line. Marshall's try for a goal from the field went wide of the posts. The University eleven then took the ball from the second's kick-out, and carried it to the 15-yard line; Marshall dropped back to the 25-yard line and kicked goal.

Mills received the second's kick-off and ran it back 30 yards to the 40-yard line. Against the stubborn resistance of the second, the University eleven carried the ball to the second's goal line and Meier made a touchdown. Marshall kicked goal.

The first eleven then kicked off to Morris, who ran the ball in to the 28-yard line. From there the second rushed the ball about 25 yards and was forced to punt from near the centre of the field. Several exchanges of kicks followed in which the second had a considerable advantage, finally getting the ball well down towards the University goal line. A few rushes took it over, Squires making the touchdown.

Marshall ran back the next kick-off to the 45-yard line. After several punts, the University eleven secured the ball on the second's 30-yard line and rushed the ball from there for a touchdown, Knowlton carrying it over.

The line-up: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Montgomery, l.e.  r.e., Shurtleff Meier, l.t.  r.t., Davie LeMoyne, l.g.  r.g., Pell Parkinson, c.  c., Wilder, Bleakie A. Marshall, r.g.  l.g., McFadon Knowlton, r.t.  l.t., Squires Burgess, r.e.  l.e., Blagden C. B. Marshall, q.b.  q.b., Mahoney Nichols, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Snyder Nesmith, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Morris Schoellkopf, Mills, f.b.  f.b., Sperry, Pope, Guild