French-American Fellowships

Mr. James H. Hyde of New York has offered for the years 1903-04 and 1904-05 a resident fellowship in the Graduate School, with an annual stipend of $600 the appointment to which is to be made by the President and Fellows of Harvard College on the recommendation of the Minister of Public Instruction of the French Republic. The fellowship is to be known as "The Fellowship of the Cercle Francais de l'Universite Harvard." The incumbent is to be a young French man who has shown proficiency in literary studies. He is expected to give during his incumbency, a certain amount of assistance in the French instruction offered by the Department of French and other Romance Languages; and he is to be admitted to any courses of instruction in Harvard University which he may be qualified to pursue.

This fellowship has been filled for the current year by the appointment of Mr. Robert Dupouey, a graduate of the Ecole Normale of Paris.

Acting in very friendly response to a suggestion of Mr. Hyde, the French Ministry of Public Instruction has established a fellowship at the University of Paris for the years 1903-04 and 1904-05, with a stipend of $600. The appointment to this fellowship is made by the French Minister of Public Instruction on the recommendation of the President of Harvard University. The incumbent is to be a student or graduate of Harvard University, chosen for his proficiency in literary studies. He is to give a certain amount of instruction in the English language and literature under the direction of the Minister of Public Instruction and is to be admitted to such courses of study at the University of Paris as he may be qualified to pursue.

On the nomination of President Eliot, Mr. George W. Umphrey of the Graduate School has been appointed to this fellowship for the current year.