POLITICAL CLUB ADDRESSES.

Instructive Speeches by Secretary Moody, Mr. Pinchot and President Eliot.

Secretary of the Navy, William H. Moody '76 and Mr. Gifford Pinchot, head of the Government Bureau of Forestry, spoke in the New Lecture Hall last evening, under the auspices of the Political Club. In introducing Secretary Moody, President Eliot said that the navy was of great importance to University men because of their interest in mechanics, and because it was a work-shop for men.

Secretary Moody said in part: The geographical and national position of the United States dictates that she maintain power on the sea. The fact that her sea coast, with the single exception of Great Britain's is the longest, is also one of several important reasons for a strong naval power. The events of the national history of the United States have furnished many examples of the excellent results of power on the sea.

Mr. Moody went on to describe the military and industrial duties of the Navy office and its seven distinct bureaus of work. He spoke of the accomplishments of the United States naval officers and of the increasing intelligence of the ordinary sea-men. He refuted the charge of poor markmanship, with the statement that the efficiency along this line was superior to what it had ever before been in the United States Navy. Speaking of the new ships now being built, he brought out the fact that the United States was building not because war was wanted, but because war is contemplated as a dread possibility. Mr. Moody closed with an appeal for American citizens to find out what they could do for the country and then to do it to the best of their ability.

Mr. Pinchot in speaking of the scientific work of the government, emphasized the need for men of the highest type produced by our universities. In Washington today, the Government controls the largest and most efficient body of scientists in the world. Their work, done under the supervision of the Departments of War, Navy and Agriculture, concerns itself with science, not for science's sake, but for the practical benefit to be derived. The unequalled opportunities for valuable scientific work were, he said, the attractions which kept men in the country's service in spite of the inducement of higher salaries in private life.

President Eliot, in closing the meeting said that the moral to be drawn from these addresses was: "It is not money which educated men should consider in determining their career. They should look for a life of intellectual, interest, which will be of service to mankind."