WELD FIRST AND THIRD WIN.

Newell Crews Defeated in Graded Races. Poor Weather Conditions.

Under very adverse weather conditions the first Weld won the first section race in the fall graded races yesterday afternoon, and the third Weld the second section, the former defeating the first Newell by a length and a half, and the latter easily defeating the third Newell by about ten lengths. The time of the first Weld was 10 minutes, 18 seconds; in the second section a mistake in the starting line prevented time from being taken. The winners of both sections took the lead from the start and maintained it throughout the race.

Considering the roughness of the course, the rowing was very good. The first Weld rowed steadily and in fairly good time, keeping the stroke almost uniformly 32 throughout the race. The most exciting race in the first section was that between the first Newell and the second Weld. The second Weld led at the start and kept up its lead to the Harvard Bridge. From that point, however, the first Newell went ahead, and finished by about a third of a length before the second Weld. The second Newell came in last, about four lengths behind the second Weld.

Only three crews competed in the second section, the fourth Weld not entering. From the start it was evident that the third Weld would win. The crew rowed in fairly good form, with a strong stroke of about 28. The contest between the third Newell and the fourth Newell was very close. For a fourth crew the fourth Newell rowed unusually well. Each crew had the lead at some time, but in the last quarter mile the third Newell finally pulled ahead, winning by about half a length.

The orders of the winning crews were as follows:

Weld First Graded--Stroke, Pleasanton; 7, Lawson; 6, Ober; 5, Gill; 4, Shepard; 3, Johnson; 2, Judd; bow, Corlett; cox., Borden.

Weld Third Graded--Stroke, Field; 7, Tuckerman; 6, Cunningham; 5, Wilcox; 4, Taylor; 3, Morgan; 2, Burnett; bow, Burden; cox., Everett.