DEUTSCHER VEREIN PLAY.

Lauf's "Pension Scholler" to be Given Next March.--The Provisional Cast.

The Deutscher Verein will give the first performance of its fifth annual play, "Der Herr Senator," by Franz von Schonthan and Gustav Kadelburg, in Brattle Hall at 8.15 o'clock this evening. The second performance will be given at Union Hall, Boston, tomorrow evening at the same hour. Tickets will be on sale at 7.30 o'clock this evening at Brattle Hall. The Harvard Mandolin Club will furnish music at both performances.

The story of the play concerns the unfortunate relations between Mittelbach and his father-in-law, Senator Andersen, who believes that his daughter Agathe owes her first duty to him and not to her husband. The young couple live in rooms directly over those of the Senator and his wife, and as a result Mittelbach is neglected by his wife, who spends most of her time with her parents.

The scene of the play is laid in the apartments of the young couple. They have been married two years and Mittelbach has become meek and subservient to the Senator's wishes. He feigns that he is near a state of nervous collapse and accordingly his doctor prescribes a journey for his health. Much to Mittelbach's discomfiture, the Senator decides that he will go also.

Mittelbach now receives a call from Dr. Gehring, an old college chum, who wishes an interview with the Senator in behalf of Miss Petzoldt, with whom the Senator's son Oscar is in love, much against the will of his parents. Gehring incidentally opens Agathe's eyes to her real duty toward her husband. In an amusing scene between Gehring and Stephanie, who is secretly in love with him, Gehring discovers that he loves her; but fears trouble from the Senator, who is unfriendly toward him.

In the last act, the Senator meets Miss Petzoldt, but mistakes her for a Miss Pottendorff, an American heiress whom he wishes his son to marry. He is delighted with her, so that when her real identity is discovered, he is forced to agree to the marriage of his son Oscar to her. He also consents to the marriage of Gehring and Stephanie, and acknowledges that Agathe's first duty is to her husband.

The cast is as follows: Senator Andersen,  J. P. Hoguet '04 Helene, his wife,  S. C. Colburn '03 Agathe their children,  E. B. Ahlborn '02 Stephanie their children,  W. H. Chase '04 Oscar their children,  W. S. Bedal '03 Mittelbach, Agathe's husband,  P. B. Robinson '03 Dr. Gehring,  L. G. Brooks '02 Sophie Petzoldt,  F. Watson '02 Dr. Steiner,  W. E. Sachs '04 Thekla, maid  P. M. Hooper '02 Josef, butler,  P. B. Olney Jr., '03

Mr. August Vatter, who is connected with the Roxbury Amateur Theatrical Association, is the coach.