Fast Basketball Practice Yesterday.

In the basketball practice yesterday afternoon the University team defeated the second team by the score of 16 to 8. The practice, while fast and hard at times, showed a tendency on the part of some of the men to wait for the ball, instead of following it. Captain Bigelow and Randall were not in the line-up owing to minor injuries received earlier in the week.

In former years the basketball squad has been handicapped by lack of a competent trainer to take charge of the men and look after their physical condition. This year Trainer McMaster will attend practice regularly and select proper food for the training table to be started at the Union immediately after the Christmas recess.

Hereafter practice for the University squad will be held at 5.30 o'clock in the afternoon instead of in the evening. This change was suggested by Trainer McMaster, who thought evening practice was too soon after eating to obtain the best results. The schedule for the season is now in the hands of the Athletic Committee and will probably be announced by the middle of next week.

The second team will play Dean Academy this evening at Franklin. The line-up will be: Hall and Griffiths, for wards: Colby, centre; Gring and T. Smith guards.