HURLEY FOOTBALL CAPTAIN.

Elected Last Night.--Prospects of the Eleven for the Season of 1904.

At a meeting of the University football team last night, D. J. Hurley '05, was elected captain for next year. Hurley prepared for college at the Boston Latin School, where he played on the football team and also rowed on the school crew. He played right halfback on his Freshmen team, was a substitute in this position last year on the University eleven and a regular player in the same position this year.

From present indications the coaches of next year's eleven will have to fill seven positions left vacant by members of this year's team. Of the men who played in the Pennsylvania and Yale games this year the following will not return: C. B. Marshall '04, quarterback and ex-captain; A. Marshall 3L., right guard; D. W. Knowlton 1G., right tackle; T. G. Meier, 2nd, '04, left tackle; W. J. Clothier '04, left end; and A. Goodhue '04, left halfback. E. Bowditch, Jr., 1L., right end; H. Schoellkopf 2L., fullback; and W. A. Sugden 1L., substitute centre, will be barred by the four year eligibility rule. J. A. Burgess '04, end, who won his "H" two years ago, will be lost by graduation.

Besides Captain D. J. Hurley '05, right halfback; J. D. Nichols '06, left halfback; J. Parkinson, Jr., '06, centre; and H. LeMoyne '07, left guard, all of whom were regular players, next year's squad will include the following substitutes, who played in the more important games: P. O. Mills '05, fullback; R. Derby '05, left tackle; W. T. Harrison '05, fullback; J. M. Montgomery, Jr., '06, right end; and B. H. Squires '06, left tackle.

Behind the line, the fullback and quarterback positions will have to be filled by new material. The candidates for the former will include P. O. Mills '05, W. T. Harrison '05, R. F. Guild '06, R. E. Sperry '06, and W. A. Hanley '07. Mills has proved himself powerful in line-plunges, but with so many other good men trying for the position, his weight might be used to advantage in the line. Harrison and Hanley have both played in several games. S. H. Noyes '05, W. C. Matthews '05, R. J. Leonard '06, T. H. Mahoney '06, and W. M. Elkins '05, are the most likely candidates for quarterback. None, however, gives great promise and the quarterback position will probably be one of the most difficult to fill. At halfback, Hurley and Nichols should be able to retain their positions if they continue their good work of the past season. Among the other candidates for halfback will be C. W. Randall '05, F. H. Nesmith '06, W. G. Means '06, H. R. Snyder '05, and R. B. Gring '05. Randall and Nesmith have played on the University eleven in some of the minor games.

In the line, both the end positions will be left vacant, where the standard set by Bowditch for four years will make it difficult to find a satisfactory successor. Likely candidates are J. M. Montgomery, Jr., '06, who played in both the Yale and Pennsylvania games this year. A. C. Blagden '06, H. R. Shurtleff '06, E. G. Bartels '06, and A. Crocker '05.

The loss of Knowlton at tackle and A. Marshall at guard, will prove serious. Derby played aggressively in the Yale game this fall, but his lack of weight will be a serious handicap. B. H. Squires '06, R. H. Oveson '05, and W. Z. Carr '06, are possibilities for the position. It is doubtful whether W. L. Mercer 2M., will be able to play again, as he was severely injured in the early part of the season.

Parkinson and LeMoyne will be good men for centre and guard, respectively. P. A. Carroll 2L., has made a strong showing at right guard on the second team, and may prove available. D. McFadon '06, H. C. Pell '06, and W. Peirce '07, F. A. Carrick '06, S. Wilder '05, and J. F. Kidder '05, will also be candidates.

Of the men who played on this year's Freshman eleven, the following have shown fair ability, and, with proper development, should make capable players: F. K. Leatherbee, L. Starr, N. F. Emmons, J. Reynolds, and N. L. Hall. P. Upham '07, who played last year on the Williams team, and who was ineligible this year under the one-year residence rule, will be able to play next season.

The loss of the five men from the line and the two men from the backfield, will be a severe blow to the eleven, but as the candidates for the vacant places have all had considerable experience in the rudimentary work of the game, the development of team-play need not be delayed until late in the season. So far as can be seen at present, the team will be lighter than usual, so that speed and strength rather than weight will have to be relied upon for the development of a successful eleven.

The choice of coach and the system to be followed next season will not be decided upon until after the meeting of the graduate players next Wednesday night.