HOCKEY TEAM WON, 4 TO 1.

Defeated Boston Hockey Club in First Game of Season--Plans After Recess.

The University hockey team, in its first game of the season, defeated the Boston Hockey Club, Saturday afternoon, by the score of 4 to 1, on the University rink on Holmes Field. The game was fast and hard-fought, but Harvard, with better team work, held at all times a distinct advantage. The best playing on the University team was done by Souther and Kernan, while on the Boston team, the work of Foster and Winsor, captain of the University team of 1902, was especially noticeable.

Summary: HARVARD.  BOSTON. Macleod, f.  f., Foster, Burgess Kernan, Wilder, f.  f., Goodridge Newhall, f.  f., Lovering Souther, f.  f., Winsor Clothier, c.p.  c.p., Penhallow Carr, Morris, p.  p., A. M. Goodridge Ivy, g.  g., Manning

Score--Harvard, 4; Boston, 1. Goals--Kernan 2, Goodridge, Newhall, Macleod 1. Referee--G. Aertsen '05. Time--20-minute halves.

After the practice this afternoon, there will be no further work until the Monday following the close of the Christmas vacation, when regular practice will again begin, and another cut will be made in the squad of candidates. A fair amount of team play has been developed for so early in the season, but the men still tend toward individual work. The forwards fail to make sufficient use of the sides of the rink, and do not follow back with the puck fast enough, relying too much on the strength of the defense. There is considerable carelessness in passing, but the shooting is very good.

After the recess, in addition to the contests in the intercollegiate series, a number of games will be arranged with local teams.