Plans for Club-House at Radcliffe.

The plans for the new student house at Radcliffe, to be known as the Elizabeth Agassiz house, have been drawn by Mr. A. W. Longfollow '76, and work will probably commence on the building as soon as the frost leaves the ground in the spring. It is to be erected by the friends of Mrs. Louis Agassiz, who have already collected a fund of $116,465.37 for the purpose. It was originally planned to have the structure cost only &100,000, but the present high price of materials may make a larger outlay necessary. In case there is any surplus left after the building is paid for, it will probably be devoted to furnishing the interior or invested to help pay the running expenses after completion.

The Agassiz house will occupy the corner of James and Mason streets, on which site a brick schoolhouse now stands. The architecture will harmonize with that of the Radcliffe Gymnasium, and the structure will, be built of Harvard brick, laid with broad, white mortar joints. The interior, which will also resemble the Gymnasium in finish, will have trimmings of marble.

The building, which will be 69 feet wide and 103 feet deep, will consist of a basement and four stories, in the first two of which the principal rooms will be located. Besides 450 lockers, the basement will contain a kitchen, a sewing room, and a housekeeper's room. On the first floor there will be a reception room 20 1-2 feet wide and 27 feet long, a tea room 12 1-2 feet wide and 27 feet long, a reading room 27 feet wide and 33 1-2 feet long, and a lunch room with a seating capacity of 168, under the theatre. The second floor will contain the dining-room, 42 feet by 66 feet, and a theatre seating 500 people. The stage will be 30 feet long and 13 feet deep, but will be capable of being deepened to 20 feet. Both the large rooms are to have balconies, connected by a foyer running between the two staircases. On the top floor there will be several club rooms lighted by gables and sky-lights.

In shape, the Agassiz House will somewhat resemble the Fogg Museum, the round theatre side facing the street, while the front of the building will be in the Radcliffe yard. A covered passageway will lead from it to the gymnasium, to obviate the necessity of going outside in bad weather, in passing between the two buildings.