Col. Higginson Resigns from Visiting Committee.

At the last meeting of the Board of Overseers, the resignation was received of Colonel T. W. Higginson '41, as chairman of the committee to visit the course of instruction in English literature. Colonel Higginson has been at the head of this committee for several years and has completed sixty-one years of service on this and similar committees. He was first appointed, in 1842, on the committee to visit the course of instruction in mathematics. This was during the administration of President Quincy and before Colonel Higginson was twenty years old.

In his recent report to the Overseers, Colonel Higginson praised very highly the development at Harvard of individual thinking as he has seen it exemplified in instructors and students. The report says in part: "During a connection of some years, I have seen steady progress in working out what is surely the highest result, that of training a department of highly educated teachers in a manner to secure individual development and mutual freedom of thought and action among them."