"Civil Service Reform."

At the meeting of the Civil Service Reform Club last night the members were addressed by Mr. R. H. Dana '74 on the subject "Civil Service versus the Political Boss," and by Mr. A. Lawrence Lowell on "Civil Service in its Higher Branches."

Mr. Dana advocated a system of appointment by open competitive examination, claiming that in this way the power of the political boss can be broken.

Professor Lowell compared the methods of filling higher offices in this country and in England and said in part: Places of importance cannot always be filled by competitive examinations and it is in filling these positions that England far surpasses us. There experts are selected who retain their positions permanently irrespective of party. Wherever the position requires the formulating of a policy, there is a lay politician but all the real work is done by the expert. In this country experts are employed only on the Bench and in the army and navy, and this is why our higher political offices are not well filled.

After the addresses the following officers were elected for the coming year: President, J. B. Trevor '02, vice-president, R. H. Dana '01; secretary and treasurer, W. W. Hoffman '02; members of executive committee, A. S. Dixey '02 and D. White '02.