Honors in Literature.

The following announcement, issued by a Committee of the Faculty, explains a new course of study in which final honors may be won:

In 1903-04 and thereafter, a new distinction, called Honors in Literature, will be open to Undergraduates. These honors will be administered by a Committee representing the Divisions of Ancient and of Modern Languages, and will be awarded at graduation.

The purpose of these Honors in Literature is to offer, in addition to the existing schemes for honors, a plan that will encourage Undergraduates to combine reading in the Classics with reading in the Modern Languages. It is desired to emphasize in this way the underlying unity of literary study, and especially the interdependence of classical and modern literature. An opportunity is offered to students by this plan to count private reading as well as work done in connection with courses.

Not later than the end of his Junior year, the candidate must present, for the approval of the Chairman of the Committee on Honors in Literature, a programme of courses and subjects.

The requirements are as follows:

1. A good reading knowledge of at least two languages--one Ancient and one Modern--besides English. This knowledge, when not sufficiently indicated by the candidate's record in his courses, will be tested by a special written examination.

2. An amount of reading in at least two literatures--one Ancient and one Modern--which shall be satisfactory to the Committee. The total amount will ordinarily be equivalent to the reading done in six courses. The authors from whom selections should be made are in general those now studied in the courses in literature in the two lower groups of the several departments. The reading need not be divided equally between Ancient and Modern Languages. In so far as this reading has been done in connection with courses, the grades in those courses will be accepted as sufficient evidence; in so far as it has been done independently, either in term-time or in vacation, it will be tested in such way as the Committee may determine.

3. An acquaintance with the general history of two literatures, one Ancient and one Modern, to be tested by an examination.

4. A thorough study of two special subjects, chosen by the candidate, with the approval of the Committee, from two different literatures, one Ancient and one Modern. For these subjects written examinations will be provided.

By way of illustration, the following subjects are suggested: Homer, Plato; Plautus, Cicero; Chaucer and his period. Shakspere, the Lake Poets; Goethe, the German Romantic School; Holberg, Ibsen; Montaigne, French Tragedy; Dante, Machiavelli; Cervantes; Turgenef.

At the discretion of the Committee, a subject involving the study of more than one literature, and representing both the Ancient and the Modern side, may be counted as two subjects.

Examples of such subjects are: Pastoral Poetry, the Popular Epic, the Influence of Aristotle on the Drama in any Modern Literature.

The examinations for Honors in Literature will all be held toward the end of the candidate's Senior year. In addition to the written tests enumerated above there will be a general oral examination on the selected fields of study.

Further information may be obtained from the members of the Committee on Honors in Literature: C. H. Grandgent, Chairman; H. C. G. von Jagemann, H. W. Smyth, M. H. Morgan, I. Babbitt, W. F. Harris, secretary.