HOCKEY WITH YALE TONIGHT.

First of Three Deciding Games in New York Line-up and Criticism.

The University hockey team will play Yale tonight at the St. Nicholas Rink, New York, in the first of three games in the final round of the intercollegiate series. Harvard defeated Yale last Saturday by a score of 3 to 0, but during the last week, on account of the poor condition of the ice, regular practice on the rink has been made impossible. In two days of practice on Spy Pond the playing has been greatly handicapped by the absence of side boards and the softness of the ice.

The probable line-up of the teams is as follows: HARVARD.  YALE. Macleod, l.e.  r.e., Marcus Lovering, l.c.  r.c., Oliver Souther, r.c.  l.c., Potter Foster, r.e.  l.e., Dilworth Clothier, c.p.  c.p., Hitchcock Carr, p.  p., Ward Manning, g.  g., Stern

The following men will leave Boston this morning by the 10 o'clock train for New York. Lovering, Macleod, Souther, Foster, Clothier, Carr, Manning, Litchfield, Kernan, Nehall, McMaster.

The second game will be played with Yale tomorrow at the St. Nicholas Rink. If each team wins one game, the final contest will be held in New York on either Monday or Tuesday.

Of this year's University hockey team, Carr. Manning and Foster were regular members and Lovering a substitute of last year's University team. Souther played on the Junior class team, while Macleod was on the University squad.

Carr at point waits too long before lifting the puck and does not pick holes well. Manning players a consistent game at goal and has proved a very valuable member of the team. At cover-point Clothier plays too much as an individual, and fails to combine with the forwards.

Of the forwards, Lovering is the most accurate shooter. His playing is commendable, but he is nevertheless rather slow. Macleod shows little aggressiveness, and does not use the corners to advantage. He passes well, but his shooting is poor. During the last half of the season Southern has fallen off in his shooting. He has a tendency to wait too long, before lifting the puck, and shoots too high. Foster plays with commendable spirit, but is wild in his shooting.