YALE WINS BASKETBALL.

University Team Outplayed in Fast Game in Gymnasium.--Score 20 to 3.

The University basketball team was defeated by the Yale five in the Hemenway Gymnasium on Saturday evening by a score of 20 to 3. While Yale had the better of the game throughout the members of the University team played a hard aggressive game to the close of the match.

For the first few minutes of play neither side was able to gain a decided advantage, but the superior throwing ability of the Yale players soon began to tell and at the end of the first half the score stood 11 to 1 in favor of Yale. In addition to throwing well, the Yale team covered closely, thus making any scoring by the University team extremely difficult.

Poor shooting by Harvard and the good defensive work of the Yale team were responsible for the very low score made by the University team. The men fumbled badly and at times passed poorly, although the general character of the team play was good. Hanavan, at right guard, played a good game and Smith also played well at right forward. The only goal thrown from the floor for Harvard was a good distance shot by K. Smith in the second half.

The summary: HARVARD.  YALE. Grant, Henderson, r.f.  l.g., Colton Smith, l.f.  r.g., Church, Donahue Randall, Linehan, c.  c., R. B. Hyatt Hanavan, r.g.  l.f., Barber, Pryor Bigelow, l.g.  r.f., W. C. Hyatt

Score--Yale, 20: Harvard, 3. Baskets from the floor--W. C. Hyatt 5, Barber 2, Pryor, R. B. Hyatt, Smith. Baskets on fouls--Colton 2, Smith. Referee--W. C. Barnes of Cambridge Y. M. C. A. Umpire--Yeager of Cambridge Y. M. C. A. Time--20-minute halves.

The present standing of the teams in the intercollegiate league is as follows:   Played.  Won.  Lost. Yale,  7  6  1 Columbia,  7  4  3 Princeton,  7  3  4 Cornell,  6  2  4 Harvard,  7  2  5