RELAY TEAMS LOSE.

Poor Showing in Two and Four-Mile Runs.--Schick Wins 100 yds,

Harvard entered a four-mile and a two-mile relay team in the ninth annual relay championship, held at Franklin Field, Philadelphia, Saturday. With the exception of Colwell, Hall, Adams and Schick, the work was discouraging. In the two-mile race Curtis started for Harvard. On his second lap he gradually dropped back, finishing in third place, 10 yards behind Smith of Pennsylvania. Adams then took up the running for Harvard. He slowly closed up and finished close to Terry of Pennsylvania and McDonald of Columbia. Clerk, who ran next, gradually dropped back, so that when Foster took up the relay, Harvard was practically out of the race.

The four-mile race was the last event on the programme. Harvard, Yale, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Chicago, and Columbia all entered teams. Hall, the first runner on the University team, ran a good race, but finished in fourth place. Stone, the second Harvard runner, seemed to be badly used up on his third lap and finished 230 yards behind McEachern of Wisconsin. Colwell then took up the race for Harvard and made the best time of the afternoon. Setting his own pace, he gradually gained on the entire field. At the end of his third lap the pace began to tell, but he managed to pass Gale of Chicago, who started 100 yards ahead of him, on the home stretch of his last lap. Walsh, who took up the last relay for the University was unable to make any material gain.

Schick won the 100 yards special, defeating Hahn of Michigan in an exciting race, by a few inches.