The Advocate

The last number of the Advocate contains little of real literary value. Six of the seven prose contributions, none of which are over two pages in length, are the merest sketches, and, with possibly one or two exceptions, do not show much originality. The only article of any length is a most appropriately titled story, "Love-in-Idleness," by W. W. Justice, Jr. It is interesting and well-written, but it gives the impression of being an outline more than a finished sketch. The incidents are not worked up, nor is there enough action. On the other hand, the writer is to be congratulated upon his good taste, especially in his descriptions of nature.

Of the other contributions, "The Moss Garden" and "Lost or Found" are perhaps the most interesting, partly because of the fact that, although very similar in subject, they are treated entirely differently. The writer of the first exhibits a very decided fund of conversational wit, which in "Lost and Found" is conspicuous by its absence.

"The Return," "A Friseurs Becken" by F. R. Dickinson, and "The Ingratitude of Mr. Woodsum" by R. W. Child are sketches of mediocre merit, of the type most frequently found in college periodicals.

The issue includes the usual amount of poetry and a brief book review on Mr. Farnham's "A Life of Francis Parkman."