HARVARD, 8; AMHERST, 7.

Poorly Played but Exciting Game.--Won in the Ninth Inning.

The baseball team won from Amherst yesterday afternoon in an exciting, but poorly played game, by the score of 8 to 7. Although the team started out well, the subsequent showing was the worst of the year, and demands an immediate and decided improvement.

Amherst came to the bat in the ninth inning, with the score 7 to 5 against her, but a hit and base on balls, followed by a costly passed ball by Kernan, let in two runs, which tied the score, 7 to 7. Matthews opened the last half of the inning for Harvard with a base-hit, and stole second. Clarkson then brought in the winning run with a timely two-base hit, thus relieving a serious situation.

The game was, perhaps, the most discouraging played this year, for in addition to the team's customary weakness in batting, several very costly and inexcusable fielding errors were made. The base-running, too, was deplorably spiritless, three men, being caught between bases. Clarkson seemed to lack a little of his usual steadiness in the box, for, although he succeeded in striking out seven men, he allowed four bases on balls, and hit two men. Behind the bat, Kernan allowed three passed balls, one of which let in the tying runs in the ninth inning.

The Amherst team, while weak in the field, batted well at the most opportune moments, and was quick to take advantage of every error on the bases. Kane, the Amherst pitcher, showed good control and speed, and struck out seven men.

Harvard began the game well with three runs in the first inning, when timely hits by Clarkson and Stillman, brought in Matthews and Randall; and an error by Roe allowed Clarkson to score another run. In the fifth inning Randall received a base on balls, and Coolidge bunted, but reached first on a fielder's choice. A well executed double steal then brought in Randall and advanced Coolidge to second. Matthews's long hit to the outfield, which was missed by Field, brought in Coolidge, and allowed Matthews also to score. R. Kernan added another run in the next inning, when, after receiving a base on balls, he was advanced to third by Story's hit, and scored on Coolidge's fly to the outfield. In this inning Amherst made four runs on a timely massing of hits, making the score, Harvard, 7; Amherst; 4. Amherst made another run in the eighth inning, at the same time shutting Harvard out; in the ninth she tied the score, but was finally defeated as was explained above.

The score: HARVARD.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  o. Coolidge, 2b.  4  1  0  3  5  0 Matthews, s.s  4  3  1  3  3  1 Randall, 1b,  3  1  0  7  0  1 Clarkson, p.  5  1  3  0  2  1 Stillman, c.f.  3  0  1  1  0  1 Daly, r.f.  4  0  0  2  0  0 Skilton, l.f.  2  0  0  0  0  0 Stephenson, l.f.  1  0  0  1  0  0 R. Kernan, c.  4  1  0  8  2  0 Story, 3b.  3  1  1  2  1  1 Totals,  33  8  6  27  13  5 AMHERST.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Chase, 3b.  5  0  0  1  1  1 Shay, r.f.  5  2  2  1  0  0 Keliher, 2b.  4  1  0  2  3  2 Favour, 1b  1  2  1  7  0  1 Raftery, l.f.  4  1  1  1  0  0 Sturgis, s.s.  4  0  0  1  3  1 Roe, c.  4  0  2  8  1  1 Field, c.f.  4  1  1  2  0  1 Kane, p.  4  0  2  0  0  1 Totals,  35  7  9  23*  8  8

*Matthews out for interference; Randall out for striking out with first base occupied; one out when winning run was scored. Innings,  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Harvard,  3  0  0  0  3  1  0  0  1--8 Amherst,  0  0  0  0  0  4  0  1  2--7

Stolen bases--Story 3, Coolidge, Matthews, R. Kernan, Keliher, Shay 3, Favour. Three-base hit--Kane. Two-base hits--Clarkson 2. Sacrifice hit--Raftery. Double plays--Matthews to Coolidge to Randall, Chase to Roe to Keliher to Favour. Bases on balls--by Clarkson: Sturgis, Keliher, Favour 2; by Kane: Matthews, Randall, Story, Stillman, Stephenson. Hit by pitched balls--by Clarkson: Favour 2; by Kane: Randall. Struck out--by Clarkson: Chase 2, Keliher 2, Field, Sturgis 2; by Kane: Coolidge, Matthews, Randall 2, Stephenson, Daly, Story. Passed balls--Kernan 3, Roe. Time of game--2h. 20m. Umpire--Murray.