Second Nine, 5; Andover, 4

Andover was defeated by the Second nine yesterday in a fast 10-inning game at Andover by the score of 5 to 4. The Second nine played a good game except in the first half of the ninth inning when they went to pieces temporarily and allowed three runs on three hits and two errors. The batting of the team showed little improvement in number of hits, but the seven hits made were skilfully bunched and resulted in five runs. The fielding of the Second nine was good, but marred by several costly errors. Improvement was also shown in base-running, the work in this department being fairly fast. Andover played a creditable game, taking quick advantage of the Second nine's errors, but showing weakness in their batting which included only seven hits. Hammond's pitching was commendable; he allowed only seven hits and gave no bases on balls. Baker, for Andover, pitched with almost equal effectiveness, allowing seven hits and two bases on balls. The best batting for the Second nine was done by Fischel and for Andover by Breton.

The score by innings follows:   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  r.  h.  e. Second,  0  0  0  0  1  2  1  0  0  1  5  7  8 Andover,  0  0  0  0  0  1  0  0  3  0  4  7  3