Expedition to Bermuda.

Arrangements have been made whereby Harvard and New York universities will unite in conducting in Bermuda during the coming summer a biological laboratory, under the joint management of Professor E. L. Mark of Harvard and Professor C. L. Bristol of New York University. The excursions of Professor Bristol and other naturalists to Bermuda during the past few years have demonstrated the wealth of tropical marine fauna and flora existing there, and this fact, combined with the healthfulness and equable temperature of the islands, and the ease with which they may be reached, makes the Bermudas a most attractive field for biological research. The Bermuda Natural History Society has offered to contribute to the success of the undertaking by providing a launch, with crew, sail and row boats, and horses and carriages. A laboratory has been built and furnished with the apparatus usually provided in modern marine laboratories, and ample facilities will be afforded for collecting the animals and plants of the coral reefs, lagoons and shores of the islands. The opportunities offered are designed for individual research and no formal instruction will be given. The expedition will be open to all students of botany and zoology, who have taken enough work in these subjects to enable them to profit by independent study.

There are two possible dates of sailing from New York; June 20 and July 4. The laboratory will be opened on the arrival of those who sail first, and will remain open for eight weeks. The total expense, including transportation from New York and return, and board and lodging for six weeks at Bermuda, will be $100. Board will be provided at the Hotel Frascati, Flatts, Bermuda.

Application for enrolment in the expedition should be made as early as possible, and not later than June 15, to Professor E. L. Mark, 109 Irving street, Cambridge, or to Professor C. L. Bristol, New York University, University Heights, New York City, from whom detailed information regarding the expedition may be obtained.