HARVARD, 5, BROWN, 0.

Fast Fielding and Excellent Pitching on Both Sides.--Batting Very Light.

The baseball team defeated Brown yesterday by a score of 5 to 0, in an excellently played game, but one that from the spectator's point of view was somewhat lacking in interest, because the sharp fielding and weak batting of both teams reduced the base-running and the scoring to a minimum. Both Lynch and Clarkson pitched with remarkable effectiveness, the latter allowing the Brown team but three hits, striking out nine men, and giving no bases on balls. This brilliant work in the box, furthermore was supported by perfect fielding on the part of the whole University team, so that only the three Brown men who made hits reached first and only one succeeded in reaching second. The most spectacular play of the game was a well executed double play by Coolidge, Matthews and Randall. The one discouraging feature of the work was the batting, only four hits being made during the entire game. The team was facing, it is true, an unusually good pitcher, and part of the weakness in batting was due to his effectiveness, but part of it was caused by the fact that the men struck too hard instead of simply meeting the ball as they have been coached to do. Randall's home run in the sixth inning, however, was made at the most timely moment of the game, and scored three runs. R. Kernan played most creditably behind the bat, although he had not entirely recovered from a sprained ankle. Stillman and Kernan covered a great deal of ground in the out field, and took easily all the chances for put-outs.

For Brown, Gray played a remarkably fast game at second base, taking eight chances without an error. Clark caught well, and succeeded in throwing Carr out in an attempt to steal second in the second inning.

In the first inning, H. Kernan received a base on balls and reached second on an error by Pattee, Matthews reaching first on the same play. Randall reached first on a base on balls, when Clarkson's slow infield grounder allowed Kernan to score, and Matthews to reach third base, Randall being put out at second in the same play. By stealing second, Clarkson drew the throw, thus allowing Matthews to score Harvard's second run. No more scoring was done until the sixth inning, when Kernan made a safe hit, and Matthews's infield hit was thrown wide by Lynch, allowing both men to reach their bases in safety. Randall followed with his home run, bringing in three runs,--the last scores of the game.

The score: HARVARD.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Coolidge, 2b.  3  0  0  2  1  0 H. Kernan, l.f.  3  2  1  1  0  0 Matthews, s.s.  4  2  1  4  2  0 Randall, 1b.  3  1  1  6  0  0 Clarkson, p.  4  0  0  1  1  0 Stillman, c.f.  3  0  0  3  0  0 Daly, r.f.  3  0  0  1  0  0 R. Rernan, c.  3  0  0  9  1  0 Carr, 3b.  3  0  1  0  1  0 Totals,  29  5  4  27  6  0 BROWN.   a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Pattee, s.s.  4  0  1  0  2  1 Barry, c.f.  4  0  0  3  0  0 Lynch, p.  3  0  0  0  2  1 Metcalf, r.f.  3  0  0  0  0  0 Abbott, l.f.  3  0  0  0  0  0 Penley, 3b.  3  0  1  0  0  0 Gray, 2b.  3  0  0  6  2  0 Clark, c.  3  0  1  9  1  0 Belding, 1b.  3  0  0  6  0  0 Totals,  29  0  3  24  7  2

Innings  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Harvard,  2  0  0  0  0  3  0  0  x--5 Brown,  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0--0

Earned runs--Harvard 2. Stolen bases--Matthews, Clarkson, Coolidge. Home run--Randall. Double play--Coolidge to Matthews to Randall. Bases on balls--by Lynch: H. Kernan, Randall, Coolidge. Struck out--by Clarkson: Barry, Penley 2, Gray 2, Abbott, Clark, Metcalf, Belding; by Lynch: Coolidge 2, Daly, R. Kernan, H. Kernan 2, Clarkson, Stillman. Time of game--1h. 50m. Umpire--Ganzell.