MOTT HAVEN GAMES UNDECIDED

Yale Awarded Meet with 41 1-2 Points to 41, But Award Protested.

In the intercollegiate track games at Berkeley Oval in New York on Saturday, Yale finished first with a total of 41 1-2 points, Harvard second with 41 points, and Cornell third with 16 points. The decision of the judges in the 100-yards dash--which was won by Duffey of Georgetown--in awarding second place to Moulton of Yale and third to Schick of Harvard has, however, been protested by the management of the University team. Ordinarily the decision of the judges is final, but it has been decided to submit the question to the executive committee of the I. C. A. A. A. A. for decision. This step has been taken because it is felt that Harvard can prove conclusively that Schick finished second, and it is believed that in the face of such proof the technical rule will not be allowed to stand in the way of a just decision. If the decision of the judges is sustained, Yale will have won the Mott Haven cup offered in 1890 to the college winning the annual championship the greatest number of times in fourteen years; if the decision is reversed, Harvard will win the meet with a total of 42 points to Yale's 40 1-2, thereby tying Yale in the contest for the permanent possession of the cup, which Yale has already won five times, and Harvard and Pennsylvania four times each.

Of the total 143 points, Yale won 41 1-2, Harvard 41, Cornell 16, Princeton 11 1-2, Syracuse 11, Amherst 9, Georgetown 8, Pennsylvania 3, and Williams 2.

The meet was by far the hardest fought and most exciting of recent years. Harvard was a few points in the lead throughout most of the afternoon, but the result was in doubt till the finish of the last race. The weather conditions were favorable, the day being bright and fairly warm, but the track was extremely dry and dusty.

Beck of Yale established a new record in the shot put, with a put of 46 feet, raising by 1 foot 3 1-2 inches the record made by him last year. Schutt of Cornell ran the two-mile in 9m. 40s., breaking the record of 9m. 48 2-5s. made by Grant of Pennsylvania in 1900. In the pole vault, Gardiner of Syracuse equalled the intercollegiate record of 11 ft. 7 in.

Colwell's work in both the mile and two-mile runs was remarkable. Starting in a poor position in the mile, he worked his way through the entire field, winning the event in 4m. 30 3-5s. Alcott of Yale, who in the dual meet was not placed in either the mile or two-mile runs, finished second, and Walsh, who was relied upon to win second failed to get a place. After a rest of only thirty minutes, Colwell started in the two-mile run, and won fourth place. After only two days' training, Kernan won the high jump in excellent form; having failed twice at 5 ft. 11 1-2 in. and 6 ft. 1 in., he cleared both heights easily on his third jump.

In the finish of the 100-yards dash, Schick sprained a tendon, but in spite of this ran in both heats of the 220-yards dash and, handicapped as he was, won third in the finals. Converse and Behr were both handicapped in their races; the former from lack of practice, the latter from being badly spiked on Friday. Haigh ran a beautiful race in the quarter-mile, having it well in hand from the start. Bird, in the semi-finals of the high hurdles, running, up to the seventh hurdle, practically a dead heat with Clapp for first place, twisted a ligament in his leg, and so failed to qualify for what seemed a certain score in the finals.

Summary of Events.

100-yards dash--Won by Duffey, Georgetown; second, Moulton, Y.; third, Schick, H.; fourth, Lightner, H. Time, 9 4-5s.

220-yards dash--Won by Lightner, H.; second, Moulton, Y.; third, Schick, H.; fourth, Long, Y. Time, 22s.

440-yards dash--Won by Haigh, H.; second, Reilly, Georgetown; third, Rogers, Cornell; fourth, Clerk, H. Time, 50 1-5s.

880-yards run--Won by Adsit, Princeton; second, Behr, H.; third, Newell, Williams; fourth, Taylor, Amherst. Time, 2m. 4 2-5s.

Mile run--Won by Colwell, H.; second, Alcott, Y.; third, Poate, Cornell; fourth, Camp, Cornell. Time, 4m. 30 3-5s.

Two-mile run--Won by Schutt, Cornell; second, Bowen, U. of P.; third, King, H.; fourth; Colwell, H. Time, 9m. 40s.

120-yards hurdles--Won by Clapp, Y.; second, Converse, H.; third, Ketchum, Cornell; fourth, Anderson, Y. Time, 15 3-5s.

220-yards hurdles--Won by Clapp, Y.; second, Cairns, Cornell; third, Thomas, Y.; fourth, Bauer, H. Time, 22s.

High jump--Won by Kernan, H., 6ft. 1 in.; second, Lowe, Syracuse, 5 ft. 11 3-4 in.; third, Alexander, Y., 5 ft. 10 3-5 in.; fourth, Serviss, Cornell, 5 ft. 9 3-4 in.

Broad jump--Won by Hubbard, Amherst, 22 ft. 4 5-8 in.; second, Foster, Amherst, 22 ft. 1 1-4 in.; third, Fulton, Y., 22 ft. 3-4 in.; fourth, Bowman, Y., 21 ft. 6 1-2 in.

Pole vault--Won by Gardiner, Syracuse, 11 ft. 7 in.; second, McLanahan, Y., 11 ft. 3 in.; Horton, Princeton, and Adriance, Y., tied for third place at 11 ft.

Shot put--Won by Beck, Y., 46 ft.; second, Schoenfuss, H., 44 ft. 6 in.; third, Robinson, H., 44 ft. 2 1-2 in.; fourth, Glass, Y., 44 ft. 1-2 in.

Hammer throw--Won by DeWitt, Princeton, 155 ft. 8 in.; second, VanDuyn, Syracuse, 151 ft. 5 1-2 in.; third, Harris, Y., 142 ft. 10 in.; fourth, Shevlin, Y., 141 ft. 8 in