THE YEAR'S WORK IN DEBATING

Records of the University and Class Club Teams

The year's record in debating is unsatisfactory. While the Yale debate was creditably won, the team against Princeton was defeated and in the class clubs and debates there was little interest.

The Princeton debate was the first of the year. On November 1, Princeton submitted the question: "Resolved, That when in the event of continued domestic violence lives and property are not adequately protected by a state, it would be for the public good that the president have the power of protection without the application of the state for federal aid." About forty men came out of the University team. The three finally chosen for the team were A. A. Ballantine '04, W. Catchings 1L., and J. Daniels '04, won the Coolidge prize of $100. G. P. Adams '03, E. M. Rabenold '04 and J. F. Dore '05 were retained as the second team form whom Adams was subsequently chosen alternate. H. A. Yeomans 2L. had charge of coaching the team.

The debate took place at Princeton on December 12, and resulted in a victory for Princeton. The involved question offered every opportunity for variety of Interpretation, and it was upon the meaning of the question that the whole debate hinged. This made the contest technical and unsatisfactory.

The judges were, Judge Andrews of Syracuse, Albert Shaw, editor of the Review of Reviews, and Rt. Rev. John Scarborough, Bishop of New Jersey. They were unanimous in their decision for Princeton.

The Yale debate was the exact antithesis of the contest with Princeton. The question, which was timely and full of interest, was worded in such a way as to make quibbling impossible. The debate was lively and close and resulted in a well-earned victory for the University team.

The question read as follows:

"The following facts being presupposed:

1. The existence of money claims by a European government against a South American State:

2. Such claims submitted by consent of both parties to the Hague Tribunal for arbitration:

3. An award by said Tribunal in favor of the European government:

4. The time and amount of payment fixed of the award:

5. Default of payment according to terms of the award:

6. A system of absolute free trade existing in the debtor state:

Resolved, That the United States should permit the European government to seize and hold permanently territory of the debtor state not exceeding in value in the amount of the award."

The Harvard team was made up of I. Grossman 2L., R. LuV. Lyman '03, and F. B. Wagner 1L., Grossman, winning the Coolidge prize. M. Hale '03, S. Blaikie '03, and E. M. Rabenold, was chosen alternate. The debate was held on Monday, March 23, before a large audience in Sanders Theatre. The University speakers won chiefly by better massing of argument upon vital issues and by considering the question from a broader point of view. Mr. Bliss Perry presided at the debate, and the judges were president Pritchett of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Provost C. C. Harrison of the University of Pennsylvania and Dr. Arthur L. Brown of Providence, U. S. district judges of Rhode Island. A. S. Hayes '91 coached the University team.

The University debates are of course the most striking forensic activity in College, but they are of little more real importance than the work in the class clubs and debates. It is here that most men come in contact with debating, and when interest is lacking here is means that few men are gaining the valuable training which debating affords. During the past year there was little good work in any class club entire reorganization of the club except the Senior Wranglers, and the entire reorganization of the club system is being considered by the University Debating Club, The interclass and outside debates were also rather unsatisfactory in spite of the excellent showing made by the Freshmen, who won the interclass series.

The first debate in the series took place on Thursday evening, December 11, and resulted in a victory of the Seniors over the Juniors. The question was: "Resolved, That trusts are a beneficial outgrowth of economic conditions in the country." R. Ernst, J. J. Mahoney, and A. J. Hammerslough spoke for the Seniors, and F. W. Catlett, D. A. McCable and L. Lippincott for the Juniors.

The second interclass debate was held on December 12 in the Fogg Lecture Room between the Sophomores and Freshmen. The question: "Resolved, That the attitude of the United States as defined by the Monroe Doctrine, with regard to territory in the Western Hemisphere, should be continued,"--was interesting in itself, but was very superficially considered by the Sophomores. The Freshmen team was composed of J. W. Plaisted, . E. Wood and H. A. Hirshberg, with W. W. Corlett as alternate; the Sophomore speakers were W. O. Hubbard, G. G. Smith and I. I. Mattuck, R. P. Dietzman being alternate. The Freshmen won through presenting a strong case and through keen work in rebuttal. Their coach was G. M. G. Nichols 1L.

The final interclass debate, between the Seniors and Freshmen was held in the Fogg Lecture Room on March 13, and was won by the Freshmen. It was, as usual, the occasion for the ward of the Pasteur medal. The question, which is required to be on some topic dealing with contemporary French politics, was: "Resolved, That France should annex Morocco." The Freshmen had the stronger side of the question and argued with keenness and spirit. Their team was composed of J. W. Plaisted, H. A. Hirshberg, and W. M. Shohl, with N. Kelley, as alternate; G. Bettman, C. W. Gilkey and G. W. Hinckley made up the Senior team. G. P. Adams '03 coached the Freshmen.

Outside debates were held by the Freshmen and Sophomores only. The Freshmen defeated Exeter on May 8, and the Sophomores were beaten by Williams sophomores on May 2. These two debates were held at Exeter and at Williamstown.