BOTH EIGHTS MAKE GOOD TIME

The Harvard and Yale Crews Have Time Row Over Four-Mile Course.

RED TOP, GALES FERRY, June 7,--Saturday was a lively day for the Harvard and Yale boatsmen on the Thames.

In the afternoon, with the tide and a slight wind in their favor, the University eight made the four-mile course in 22m. 35s, Immediately afterward, under almost precisely the same conditions, the Yale university and freshman crews raced over the same course in time which was given our as 22m. 50s., but which several watches on the shore caught as 21m. 15s. The Yale freshman crew performed the unusual feat of defeating the Yale university eight by three lengths.

Owing to the damp weather several of the men have caught slight colds and the squad still shows the effects of Friday's trip. In the morning the eight rowed four miles in long stretches keeping the stroke at about thirty. At this stroke, the shell stopped noticeably between strokes and the men were unable either to begin the recovery as rapidly or finish it as slowly, as is desired. These faults were due to the bow men, who rushed forward ahead of the others. In the afternoon, while paddling down to the start, the crew succeeded in keeping the recovery slow, and spaced about eight feet. Notwithstanding this improvement the boat was rather unsteady and the men kept poor time. During the first three miles of the time row which followed, the stroke was kept at 29 and 30. For the last mile it went up to 32 and at the finish to 34.

As a consequence of the inability of the men to slide forward gently when rowing at a stroke above 28, the boat stopped between strokes almost as badly as in the morning and usually spaced less than four feet.

The University four also took a time row yesterday afternoon in which they covered the two miles in the very slow time of 13m. and still showed very poor form, largely due to the fact that they have rowed together only a few days. Ober and Derby were tried for a time at bow and two, respectively, but in the time row Hartwell was put at bow and Derby at two. Dillingham has been elected captain of the four.

Rain kept the men in quarters this morning, but this afternoon the weather cleared up.