HARVARD VS. BOWDOIN TODAY.

At 4 o'clock.--Hard Game Expected.-- Unsatisfactory Practice Yesterday.

The University eleven will play its second game of the season with the Bowdoin College team on Soldiers Field this afternoon at 4 o'clock.

In spite of the good showing made by Harvard in the Williams game last Saturday, the squad is still in a decidedly crude state and the practice son far this week has shown retrogression rather than improvement.

Last year Bowdoin proved unexpectedly strong and at the end of the first half led in the storing by 6 points to 5; only the hardest kind of work in the second half enabled the University team to avoid defeat, the final score being Harvard 17, Bowdoin 6. As the Bowdoin team includes several of last year's players, a hard game is expected today.

The teams will line up as follows: HARVARD.  BOWDOIN. Clothier, l.e.  r.e., Beane Parkinson, l.t.  r.t., Haley Shea, l.g.  r.g., Cunningham Carrick, c.  c., Sanborn A. Marshall, r.g.  l.g., Davis Bleakie, r.t.  l.t., Finn Burgess, r.e.  l.e., Speake C. B. Marshall, q.b.  q.b., Wiggin Nichols, l.h.b.  r.h.b., L. H. Chapman Hurley, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Favinger Hanley, f.b.  f.b., Ryan, Winslow

The first cut of the season was made yesterday, ten men being dropped. With the five new men who reported, the squad now numbers 70. The opening of College, however, is expected to bring out many players who have not yet reported, as there is still an especially good chance for heavy men to try for line positions.

After the usual preliminary work, a 15-minute line-up was held, in which the first eleven scored one touchdown, the gains being made through the centre of the line. Hanley carried the ball over for a touchdown after about 5 minutes of play. The few end plays tried during the practice were unsuccessful and the second eleven once secured the ball on downs.

The line-ups: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Clothier, l.e.  r.e., Shurtleff Parkinson, l.t.  r.t., Oveson Shea, Coburn, l.g.  r.g., Coburn, Bleakie Carrick, c.  c., Pell A. Marshall, r.g.  l.g., McFadden Lehmann, r.t.  l.t., Squires Burgess, r.e.  l.e., Blagden C. Marshall, q.b.  q.b., Noyes Randall, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Hurd, Snyder Hurley, Leonard, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Dodge Hanley, Mills, f.b.  f.b., Sperry