Interesting Graduates' Magazine.

Probably the article of principal interest to undergraduates in the September issue of the Graduates' Magazine is a comprehensive review of the discussion relating to the advisability of employing a professional coach for the University crews. The writer disagrees with the conclusion expressed in a July number of the Bulletin, that in order for the University crews to win their share of the races with Yale it will be necessary to employ a professional coach so long as the Yale crews are coached by a professional. He argues that the superiority is not necessarily in the professional coach, but rather in the man, and that there is fully as strong a possibility of finding the successful coach in a graduate as in a professional.

But even admitting that the employment of a professional coach might result in the winning of more races it is argued that such a step would make a breach in the amateur standing upheld by the University for years, and that rather than do this it would be better to lose again and again, or even to give up rowing with Yale until Yale abandons professionalism in coaching.

Another contribution which should be of interest to undergraduates is the poem written by Dean Briggs for the annual meeting of the Harvard chapter of the Phi Beta Kappa held last June. The poem contains many stirring thoughts and is well worth the reading by every undergraduate.

This issue contains information of the formation of a trust called the Harvard Riverside Associates, whose purpose is to gain control of the land along DeWolfe street between Mt. Auburn street and the Charles River, so that it shall not be developed in any way detrimental to the possible construction of a suitable approach to the University from the Charles River Speedway. This trust at present has a capital of $400,000, and its holdings, together with those of the University Associates, place the larger part of this land in the hands of graduates.