Eligibility Rule Changed

At a meeting of the Athletic Committee last June it was voted to change rule 5 of the Rules of Eligibility and a proposed amendment was adopted. The wording of this amendment was changed at a recent meeting, so that the rule now reads as follows:

"No student shall be allowed to represent Harvard University in any public athletic contest, either individually or as a member of any team, who, either before or since entering the University, shall have engaged for money in any athletic competition, whether for a stake, or a money prize, or a share of the entrance fees or admission money; or who shall have taught or engaged in any athletic exercise or sport as a means of livelihood; or who shall at any time have received for taking part in any athletic sport or contest any pecuniary gain or emolument whatever, direct or indirect, with the exception that he may have received from the College organization, or from any permanent amateur association of which he was at the time a member, the amount by which the expenses necessarily incurred by him in representing his organization in athletic contests exceeded his ordinary expenses, and with the further exception that if a student shall have violated this rule before entering College; and before reaching the age of nineteen, the Athletic Committee, after two years have elapsed from the date of the last violation, may declare such student eligible for membership on any Harvard team, provided he might be declared eligible except for the provisions of this rule. No student of Harvard University who has played on any semi-professional nine, or on any so-called summer baseball nine, shall represent Harvard University in any public athletic contest until he has received special permission from the Committee."

Obviously this rule does not apply to cases of men playing against Yale, as such cases are determined by the rules of the dual agreement.