FOOTBALL PRACTICE POOR

Many of Best Men Out of Game.--First Eleven Scored One Touchdown

The third day's secret practice of the University football squad yesterday was very ragged, the second team making consistent gains whenever it had the ball, and holding the first eleven twice for downs. Much of the poor work of the last few days, however, has been caused by the absence of many of the best players from the line-up on account of slight injuries. The following men were given light work and sent around the field, but did not enter the scrimmage: Montgomery, Mills, Derby, Parker, Squires, Hurley, Oveson, Means, and Leary. On the second team Randall did some excellent work at left end and O'Connell was put in at right tackle, both entering the scrimmage for the first time. Kernan's injured leg will keep him out for several days.

In the scrimmage, which lasted 25 minutes, the second eleven, soon after the kick-off, took the ball from the first on downs in the middle of the field and rushed it by short gains to the 15-yard line. The first team then held the second for downs, and advanced the ball to the second's 35-yard line, where the latter again held for downs, and rushed to the 45-yard line. Guild then punted to the 20-yard line. Reynolds gained 10 yards around left end, and after a few short gains by line-rushing the second got the ball on a fumble by Sperry, but lost it by fumbling near the 45-yard line. Hall got the ball for the first eleven, which carried it down the field for a touchdown, Hanley going over. Reynolds missed the goal.

The line-up: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Blagden, Whitman, l.e.  r.e., J. Jones, Winsor Brill, Meier, l.t.  r.t., Kersburg, O'Connell McFadon, l.g.  r.g., Upham Fraser, c.  c., Pell White, r.g.  l.g., Pope Paul, Brown, r.t.  l.t., W. Jones Shurtleff, Hall, r.e.  l.e., Clark, Randall, C. Meier Kerans, q.b.  q.b., Mahoney, Sortwell Osborne, Reynolds, Sperry, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Foster Wendell, Nesmith, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Snyder, Guild Harrison, Hanley, f.b.  f.b., Jenkins, Sawyer