Fencing Meeting Last Night.

At a meeting last night of candidates for the University and class fencing teams two plans for the year's work were explained. The first plan is to have graduates coach the squads for the class games which come just before Christmas. In January a small squad of about six men would be picked and efforts made to secure the professional coaching necessary for outside meets. According to this plan there would be no coaching for men not on the squad. The second plan is for all men interested to pay $10 for professional instruction for the season, and in this way to secure a sum sufficient to get M. Pianelli as coach. With professional coaching, the work of all the squads could continue through the year and every man would have a chance for the teams which fence outside the University. This plan will not be adopted until it is seen whether or not enough men will pay to secure the professional coach.

The first practice of the year will be held this afternoon at 4 o'clock in the basement of the Gymnasium, and there will be regular practice hereafter on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. For the present several members of past University teams will coach.