Announcement of Bowdoin Prizes.

Various changes have been made in the Bowdoin Prizes, which are offered this year as usual for dissertations in English, and in Greek and Latin by undergraduates and graduates.

For essays in English by undergraduates, three prizes are offered instead of two as in previous years: a first prize of two hundred and fifty dollars, and two second prizes of one hundred dollars each, instead of a single second prize of two hundred dollars. Any subject proper for treatment in literary form, approved by the chairman of the Committee on Bowdoin Prize, may be selected. Theses that form part of the regular work in an elective course may be offered in competition with the consent of the instructor in the course or, subject to such consent may be rewritten for the prize competition.

For graduates, three prizes of two hundred dollars each, to be substituted for the single prize of three hundred dollars offered in previous years, are offered for an essay of high literary merit in a special field of learning. For the year 1904-1905, one prize will be offered in each of the following divisions: 1. Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Engineering; 2. Biology, Geology and Anthropology; 3. Ancient Languages and Literature. Any holder of an academic degree who has been in residence in the Graduate School for one full year, may compete for these prizes.

In Greek and Latin two prizes of fifty dollars each are offered to undergraduates. One is for a translation into Attic Greek of the passage in Lamb's Tales from Shakespere, "The Comedy of Errors," from the words "When Antipholus of Syracuse had sent Dromio away," through the words, "had delivered to the other Antipholus." The Latin translation is the passage in Motley's, "Rise of the Dutch Republic," Historical Introduction, III and IV, from the words, "Gaul being thus pacified," through the words, "Austrian property."

One hundred dollars is offered to graduates for an original essay, either in Latin or Greek of no less than three thousand words, on any subject chosen by the competitor. The author must be a holder of an academic degree who has been in residence in the Graduate School for one full year within the period 1902-1904.