U. OF P. WON BASKETBALL.

University Team Defeated at Philadelphia by Score of 22 to 16.--Officers Elected.

The University basketball team was defeated by the University of Pennsylvania, Saturday night at Philadelphia, by the score of 22 to 16. Inability of the University players to throw easy baskets, together with an injury to Underwood early in the game, was responsible for the defeat.

Harvard scored first, on a basket by Smith in the first minute of play. For a time the scoring was even, but the Pennsylvania team gradually took the lead, and the half ended with the score 16 to 9 in their favor. In the second half, the play was slow and uninteresting, both sides failing to take advantage of opportunities to score, and completely neglecting team-work.

The summary: HARVARD.  PENNSYLVANIA. Underwood, Gallagher, l.f.,  r.f., Kase Henderson, r.f.  l.f., Kunkle, McCrudden K. Smith, c.  c., MacCrudden, Hayes Stinchfield, l.g.  r.g., Lawrence Gring, r.g.  l.g., Bennett

Score--Pennsylvania, 22; Harvard, 16. Goals from floor--Underwood 2, Henderson 2, Smith, 2, Kunkle 5, McCrudden 4, Lawrence, Kase. Goals from fouls--Harvard 4. Referee--R. Evans, Pennsylvania. Umpire--R. A. Wood 1G. Time--20-minute halves.

Owing to a misunderstanding between the basketball management and the Athletic Committee concerning the number of outside games, it has been found necessary to cancel the three remaining games of the intercollegiate schedule, which are as follows: February 27, Cornell, at Cambridge; March 5, Yale, at Cambridge; March 12, Yale, at New Haven. Both the University and second teams have therefore disbanded.

After the game on Saturday, the following officers were elected for next year: captain, J. F. Henderson '05; manager, W. O. Dapping '05; assistant manager, W. A. Spencer '06.