Opposed to Exercises in the Stadium.

We invite all men in the University to submit communications on subjects of timely interest The CRIMSON is not, however, responsible for the sentiments expressed in such communications as may be printed.

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

In regard to the afternoon exercises on Class Day, the statement has been made, editorially in the CRIMSON, that the issue is--"exercises in the Stadium or no-where." It seems to me, however, that to regard the matter in this way is a mistake, for this does not state the real issue. In the first place, the only authority which has so far appeared for the necessity of abandoning the Statue exercises is the somewhat vague statement that certain members of the Corporation stand ready to forbid the erection of the stands in the Delta this year because of the danger of fire. If that is really the purpose of the Corporation and they as a body wish it to be understood that that is their attitude there is no need of further argument as to whether the Statue exercises are a dead issue. But since we have no evidence that the Corporation actually wishes to take such a stand, it may not be impertinent to remark that there can be little danger of fire in the stands about the Statue because no one ever smokes during the brief interval of the exercises as is done at the baseball and football games on Soldiers Field.

The Statue exercises are not regarded very seriously by most people, it is true, but they have furnished a pleasant diversion on the afternoon of Class Day for a number of years and many people have found them worth going across the street for, while they would not be willing to trudge down to Soldiers Field for exercises that were not more attractive.

It seems to me, therefore, if we are to give up the Statue exercises which we all know and have enjoyed, it should not be for similar exercises in the Stadium, just because we happen to have a Stadium, but for something of definite interest. If the Statue is really a dead issue and that fact can be proved, then the class should be asked to vote, not upon indefinite exercises in the Stadium, but upon a number of alternatives, such as: No exercises at all, the Yale baseball game on Class Day afternoon or outdoor theatricals in the semi-circular end of the Stadium. If we must use the Stadium, it seems to me that the latter idea would be sufficiently attractive, if properly carried out, to insure the co-operation of the class and its friends in attending them. Moreover, it would establish a pretty custom and one which other classes would be glad to repeat.

But whatever we vote to do, it should be for something definite. Signed: A. B. S. 1904.