"The Alchemist."

The Harvard Chapter of the Delta Upsilon Fraternity has been rehearsing its production of "The Alchemist" for several weeks. The play is full of dramatic contrasts and swift changes, with plenty of amusing incidents, and the characters sharply drawn.

The plot in the main is as follows: Lovewit, after the death of his wife, retires to the country, leaving his house in the care of Jeremy, his servant. Jeremy forms a partnership with Subtle, a sham alchemist, and setting up furnaces and apparatus in Lovewit's house, they prepare to conjure money from the credulous. Disguised as Captain Face, Jeremy lures in customers, and then as the grimy servant of the Alchemist, assists in gulling the victims. The play represents a day's business, one customer following another. Dapper wants a "familiar" to make him win at cards. Drugger comes to learn how to grow rich at his trade. Sir Epicure is trapped by the hope of obtaining the philosopher's stone, which turns metals to gold. Tribulation seeks to enrich his church. Dame Pliant is brought by her brother Kastril to get a titled husband. Each is rapidly and cleverly fleeced, and the dialogue is full of the jargon of alchemy. Finally Lovewit returns and learns from the neighbors the strange doings at his house. Jeremy denies everything till the swindled and angry customers begin to return. Then he dupes Lovewit with a clever explanation, and on showing him how to win Dame Pliant, is pardoned. Thereupon inducing Subtle to give him the key to their plunder box, he emerges from the situation triumphant, having outwitted everyone.

The cast, since previously announced, has been greatly changed, and is now as follows: Subtle, the Alchemist,  C. Kempner '06 Face, the Housekeeper,  P. E. Osgood '04 Dol, their colleague,  K. K. Smith '04 Dapper, a lawyer's clerk. A. L. Thayer '04 Drugger, a tobacco man.  D. C. Manning 1L. Lovewit, master of the house.  H. S. Demming '05 Sir Epicure Mammon, a knight,  R. S. Wallace '04 Pertinax Surly, a gamester,  R. I. Underhill '06 Tribulation Wholesome, a pastor of Am- sterdam,  H. McI. Holmes '06 Ananias, a deacon,  H. P. Johnson '05 Kastril, the angry boy,  T. P. Smith '05 Dame Pliant, a widow.  R. B. Gring '05

Neighbors, F. M. Wright '06, K. Smith '05, J. Adams, Jr., '05, J. Kerans '07, J. F. Henderson '05, W. Lewis '05.

Scene-London.

Five performances will be given as follows:

Graduates' night, April 4, Brattle Hall; public matinee, April 6, and evening performance, April 7, Brattle Hall; Boston performance, April 8, Potter Hall; Andover Town Hall, April 15.

Mr. A. S. Hills, instructor in elocution, will have charge of the production of the play

Scene-London.