DR. S. H. BUTCHER'S LECTURES

Under Auspices of Classical Department. Next Week in Fogg Lecture Room.

Professor Samuel Henry Butcher, LL.D., one of the most distinguished of English scholars, will deliver a course of six lectures on "The Originality of Greece" in Fogg Art Museum, beginning Monday, March 28. This series was provided for by the gift of Gardiner M. Lane '81.

Dr. Butcher, after graduating as Senior Classic and Chancellor's Medalist from Cambridge in 1873, was appointed lecturer at Oxford. Since 1882 he has been professor of Greek at Edinburgh. He has also served as a member of the Scottish Universities Commission and of the more recent Royal Commission on University Education in Ireland. As a writer, Dr. Butcher is well known for his prose translation, with Mr. Andrew Lang, of Homer's "Odyssey," for his volume of essays entitled "Some Aspects of Greek Genius" and for his more ambitious work, "Aristotle's Theory of Poetry and Fine Art."

The subjects and dates of the six lectures are as follows: March 28, "Greece and Israel"; March 31, "Greece and Phoenicia"; April 4, "The Greek Love of Knowledge"; April 8, "The Constructive Mind of Greece"; April 11 and 14, "Greek Literary Criticism".

The lectures will be open to the public.