Changes in Courses for 1904-1905.

The pamphlet announcing the courses of instruction for 1904-05 offered by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences will be ready for distribution at the publication office in University Hall, at 2 o'clock this afternoon.

The more important changes and additions follow:

History 1b will no longer be given, and Assistant Professor A. C. Coolidge will give two new half courses on the expansion of Europe since 1815. History 27 will be made a full course, the subject being European History in the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Centuries. Dr. Merriman's other courses, History 11 and 29, will be omitted, and Professor Coolidge's course on the Eastern Question will not be given during 1904-05. Professor Channing will give two half courses, on Early American History, and The Administration of Thomas Jefferson. Courses 10b and 22 will be dropped, and Mr. Johnston will give a new course, on the history of modern Italy.

Government 13 will be omitted, and five other courses in this subject will be dropped. To take their places, courses 6, 11, 19 and 20b will be given, and two courses, 16 and 17, will be transferred from the history department.

Several courses in Economics will be dropped, and course 17 2hf. will be omitted. Professor Carver will give a new half course on The Distribution of Wealth, and Assistant Professor Andrew will give a new research course on Theories of Crises.

English 10 will be dropped, and Public Speaking will be a new department, with four courses on Voice Cultivation. Platform Speaking, Masterpieces of Public Discourse, and Dramatic Interpretation. The first of these cannot be counted for a degree, and of the other three, which are half courses, only one can be so counted. There are new rules concerning the composition courses 31 and 22. Mr. Cobb's course, 36 2hf., Professor Hill's course, 3b, and Dr. Neilson's on Scottish Literature, will be omitted. Without the approval of the Department of English no student will be allowed to take more than one full course in English composition in any one year.

In the Classics, Greek A, 16, 13 1hf. and 14 2hf., and Latin A. 14 1hf. and 9 2hf. will be dropped. Professor Morgan and Dr. E. K. Rand are to give a new full course, Latin 15, on The Works of Virgil, with studies of his Sources and his Literary Influence from his own times to the Renaissance. Seventeen courses in Classical Philology will be dropped, and in their stead the same number of new ones will be given.

Dr. Yerkes will give two new half courses in Philosophy, on Comparative Psychology and Mental Development. Philosophy 3 will be given by Dr. Perry instead of Dr. Miller. Course 19 2hf., on Practical Problems of Charity, Public Aid, and Correction, will be given by Dr. Brackett, and Dr. Woods will offer another new half course on the Science of Religion. Professor Royce's subject for the year in his Logical Seminary, primarily for graduates, will be: The Logical Analysis of Fundamental Concepts and their General Relations to Philosophical Problems.

Professor Rambeau, of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, will give a new course in Romance Languages on French Speech-sounds.

In the Germanic Languages and Literatures Professor H. S. White will give a new full course, German 30, on Lessing's Life and Works. Four of his other courses, 27, 28, 29 and 31, will be omitted, the last to be given in 1905-06. A new seminary course will be given by Professor von Jagemann, on Wolfram von Eschenbach. Course 18 will be dropped, and 25 hf. will be primarily for undergraduates.

Italian 1 and Spanish 1 are hereafter not to be counted toward the degree of A.B. for Seniors, save in exceptional cases. Comparative Literature 4, 7 and 11 hf. will be no longer given.

A new department, Egyptology, will have three courses on Egyptian art and archaeology, given by Mr. Lythgoe.

Professor J. M. Peirce will give Mathematics 7a, on Triangular, Co-ordinates of Points and Lines in a Plane, and 9a, on The Application of Quaternions to the Dynamics of Particles and Rigid Bodies. Two new courses on the planets and higher geometry will be given by Mr. Whittemore and Mr. Coolidge respectively. Three courses in this department will be dropped and sixteen omitted.

Geology 4 cannot be counted hereafter towards the degree of A.B.

In Engineering, course 4e will be omitted, and in its place Professor Olmsted will give 4e 2hf., on Road Making and Maintenance. A new half course on Elementary Kinematics will be offered by Assistant Professor Johnson. Course 1f, given this year by Professor Love, will be omitted in 1904-05.

Architecture 3a and 3b, given this year by Mr. Lindon Smith, are to be given next year by Mr. Mowll and Mr. H. B. Warren respectively. The optional course in drawing from the life will be omitted