Fire in Hollis Hall.

Shortly after 10.30 o'clock last Thursday morning fire was discovered in room 22 on the second floor of the north entry of Hollis Hall. The fire, the cause of which is unknown, spread rapidly to the adjoining rooms by means of the gas pipes and for a time threatened the entire building. A. L. Thayer 1L. and four workmen with the aid of the University fire apparatus succeeded in holding the flames in check, however, until the arrival of the Cambridge Fire Department, which extinguished the fire after an hour's work.

Besides rooms number 22 and 18, which were rendered unfit for occupancy, rooms number 20, 24, 26, 28, 30 and 32 were damaged, principally by smoke and water. Repairs, consisting chiefly of repainting and repapering, are now being made and all the rooms affected, with the exception of numbers 18 and 22, will be in order within a week. Those two rooms require replastering and consequently will not be finished for several weeks.

The loss to the University amounts to about $1000, and is covered by insurance; that to the occupants of the rooms, whose possessions were not insured, is somewhat greater.