Rhodes Scholarship Applications.

Today is the last day for receiving applications for admission to candidacy for appointment as Rhodes Scholar from Massachusetts in 1905. The stipend of the scholarship, as fixed by the founder, is *300 per annum, and the tenure is for three consecutive academical years.

Candidates must be unmarried citizens of the United States, not less than 19 nor more than 25 years of age on October 1, 1905; and must possess one of the following educational qualifications: either two consecutive years' residence and approved work in one secondary school, academy or recognized degree-granting university or college in Massachusetts; or the first two years' residence and approved work in any recognized degree-granting university or college in the United States.

The scholar is to be elected by the Committee of Selection from those who shall have passed the qualifying examinations, the election to be made with regard to the candidate's literary and scholastic attainments, his fondness for success in manly outdoor sports, his qualities of manhood, truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship, and his exhibition during school days of moral force of character, and of instincts to lead and to take an interest in his schoolmates.

The qualifying examinations will be based on the requirements for Responsions, the first public examination ordinarily exacted by the University of Oxford from each candidate for a degree. They will be held on January 17 and 18 in the Trustees' Parlor, Boston University, 12 Somerset street, Boston. Candidates will assemble at 9.30 A. M. Six examination papers will be given, for each of which two hours will be allowed, the examination periods on each day being 10 A. M. to 12 M., 2 to 4 P. M., and 5 to 7 P. M.

Candidates who passed the qualifying examinations in 1904 must file a certificate of exemption from Responsions today, unless they have already done so.

Applications should be filed with the chairman of the Committee of Selection, University 5, from whom any further information regarding the scholarship may be obtained.