MEETING OF TRACK MEN

In the Union Last Night.--Prospects of the Team as Compared With Yale.

Over a hundred men attended the meeting on track athletics held last evening in the old billiard room of the Union.

Captain Schick opened the meeting with a short speech in which he emphasized the necessity of a large number of men participating in the winter work. He then announced that teams will be entered against Yale and in the quarter-mile relay race in the Boston Athletic Association meet on February 11, and that possibly a few men may be sent to the Columbia meet later in the season. He closed by urging the men to avoid probation and to work for the success of the team.

G. B. Morrison '83, the next speaker, called attention to the fact that there is always a large number of men in the University who are unconscious of their ability to take part in track events and often possess great talent which is never discovered. There is also a class of men, he said, who accomplish great results by long and consistent training, and it is this persistent work that counts in the end. In closing, he spoke of the great reputation in track athletics which Harvard has held in the past years, and of the great interest, that the graduates feel in the success of a Harvard team.

Mr. Garcelon, who closed the meeting, said that the very fact that Yale will have so large a number of track men back this year, while so few have returned to the University, gives an additional interest to our endeavor to win the dual meet in the spring. Never before, Mr. Garcelon said, had he seen so much good new material practicing for the team. He explained the importance of a large number of men entering the Boston Athletic Association meet for the experience that it affords, and especially urged new men to come out. At present the pole-vault and high-jump are especially weak, he said, and announced that on Wednesday morning, from 10 to 12 o'clock, Mr. Graham would be at the Gymnasium to coach any Freshman candidates who may wish to try for these events.

Speeches were also made by J. H. Converse 2d, 4M., who spoke on the interest felt in track work in the Medical School, and F. W. Bird 2L., who spoke on the pleasure to be derived from track athletics.

The prospects for a strong track team this year are on the whole encouraging as there are a number of strong performers and the average ability is fairly high. As in former years, the main strength of the team lies in the track events and there is a marked weakness in the field. This year the team will have the benefit of a graduate coach, W. T. Garcelon '95, and the men will be trained as formerly by Mr. Graham.

In the sprints W. A. Schick '05 and L. Grilk '04, the strength of last year's team in these, events, are still in College and will have as competitors in the dual meet next spring D. J. Torrey and J. G. Lowe, of Yale.

E. J. Dives '06, who won the quarter-mile in the international meet last sum- mer will represent the University in that event. T. B. Dorman '06 is also an experienced man. Both Long and Burnap, of Yale, Have left college.

In the half-mile run, H. B. Young sC., who won the event in the dual meet last year, is expected to return in the second half year, and S. Curtis '05 and A. S. Cobb '07 are both experienced men. Yale has E. B. Parsons, who equalled the intercollegiate record of 1 minute 56 4-5 seconds at Philadelphia last spring.

H. H. Rowland '06, A. Dana '06, C. H. Sutherland '06 and S. T. Hubbard '07, of last year's mile squad have returned to Harvard. They will compete with C. B. Alcott '05 and C. D. Hill '07, of Yale, who won first and second, respectively in the dual meet last year and were members of the American team which competed in England last summer.

Harvard, for the two-mile run, has A. King 2L., who won this event in the dual meet last year and R. H. Bollard '05 and W. G. Howard '07. Yale has W. J. Hall, a strong competitor in distance running, and also Parkhurst and Armstrong.

The hurdle races in the dual meet will be a competition between A. Peterson 1D., of Harvard and L. W. Mertz '06 and J. M. Cates '06, of Yale. Bird, of Harvard, is eligible only for the intercollegiate meet, and Clapp has graduated from Yale.

R. B. Gring '05 has not returned to the University, the only pole-vaulter of last year's team now here being E. M. Sawyer '06. Yale has McLanahan, winner of the event in the dual meet last year, and Behr.

In the broad jump L. T. Sheffield '06, Yale, and D. R. Ayres '05, Harvard, who won respectively second and third places in the dual meet last spring have both returned to college.

In the high jump Harvard will have E. L. Young 06 and R. E. Crane '05.

Harvard has no experienced hammer thrower. At Yale Shevlin and Harris are the best, although Hogan and Tripp have already shown some ability.

Le Moyne's loss will be keenly felt in the shot-put. Schoenfuss, however, should defeat P. White and R. Kinney, the two shot-putters of last year's team, who have returned to Yale